Ankylosing Spondylitis

Please give suggestion on high eosinophil count in a bypass patient.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 47-year-old male. I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for 34 years. I had my bypass surgery before 18 years and having depression then on. Now My eosinophil count is high 1090. I am currently on Pentop 40 in the morning, Fludac 20 once daily after breakfast, Concor 2.5 o...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read a brief summary of your case. You had CABG (bypass heart surgery) after that you are on Concor (Bisoprolol, beta-blocker), Ecosprin AV (combination of Asprin and Atorvastatin). For depression, you are on Fludac (Fluoxetine), and anti-anxiety drug Anxit...  Read Full »

After a day of walking around the mall, I am having calf pain. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I just came back from a day walking around the mall. I am having cramping pain in my left calf. It feels like a rubber band is wrapped around my leg. It is better when sitting but hurts when outstretched. I am on Enbrel and previous medical history includes low blood pressure and low chol...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am glad to answer your query. I would have appreciated a reason for having ENBREL (Etanercept), whether RA or ankylosing spondylitis or psoriatic arthritis. The drug have some known neurological side effects along with increase susceptibility to infection. Your cond...  Read Full »

I have ankylosing spondylitis. Shall I go for biologic Etanercept?

Query: Hello doctor,I have ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive) for the past 12 years and with pulmonary tuberculosis the very next year. And took medicine for nine months, and now I am daily taking Saaz, and I am going to plan for Biologics. The doctor suggested Etanercept 50 mg, but I am afraid of s...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to do Mantoux test and interferon gamma level before starting biologics because they can cause reactivation of tuberculosis if there is doubt you should receive the two drug ATT regimen (anti-tubercular treatment) before starting biologics that is recommend...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have a healthy baby if the mother's hip is completely fused?

Query: Hi doctor, I have severe ankylosing spondylitis since 19 years. I am a 28 year old male, married and would like to have a baby now. I am taking Indomethacin 75 mg and Omeprazole twice a day. My left hip is completely fused, but I have no pain. There is pain in right hip and lower back. Please let me...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry about your condition and your future baby. You are fine and your baby will also be fine, as genetic transmission is rare in this case. Again you should change the painkiller if you are not responding to it. You can start tablet Rofecoxib 50 mg daily for f...  Read Full »

My new naturopath suggested iron and thyroid supplements for hair loss. I need an opinion please.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a lot of hair loss in the past year. Mostly on top of my head. Lost half my hair. My regular doctor did not find anything wrong with my blood test and said hair loss affects a lot of women and accept it. My new Naturopath thought my numbers seemed low and suggested iron a...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hair loss in females can be due to many causes, most common being 1. Telogen effluvium stress-induced, due to illness, a diet with low protein intake, surgery, post-pregnancy, and mental stress. 2. Female pattern alopecia is genetic and hormone-mediated, runs in th...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest medicines to minimize the muscle and nerve tightening and any new effective medicine for ankylosing spondylitis.

Query: Hello doctor, Seven years ago, I was affected by ankylosing spondylitis (HLA-B27 positive) (RF negative). And then after a year, I was affected by pulmonary tuberculosis (TB lungs). Tuberculosis was controlled within months and I continued taking medication for ankylosing spondylitis. And then f...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following are the answers for your queries: Get an  MRI LS spine done, to see for any disc prolapse as the pain you are describing along with tingling sensation is seen in disc prolapse only. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine will help you in neuropathy pa...  Read Full »

Is Adfar injection a better treatment option for ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, and he is under treatment since last year. His doctor has now suggested Adfrar 40 injections along with physiotherapy and belt. The doctor has also suggested halting swimming until further instructions. I am looking for a second opi...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his disease does look quite severe. Developing a compression fracture is an indication that the disease activity is high. The reason for stopping exercises would be the fracture itse...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Gabapentin for back stiffness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried male, and I have a back stiffness problem for more than three years. Everyone gives the says that my posture is not proper while walking. Two years back when I consulted a doctor, he suspected ankylosing spondylitis, but HLA-B27 was negative. After seeing...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis is a clinical and radiological diagnosis. The clinical criteria is a history of inflammatory back pain, and the pain is worse in mornings and nigh...  Read Full »

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive and Rh factor negative) since 10 years, now on Saaz-DS, SI joints are fused. Movement restrictions of neck, forward bending and morning stiffness with sciatica. Kindly suggest the new medications and NSAIDs. I have attached ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The NSAIDs you can take are Etoricoxib 90 mg once daily or Diclofenac 75 mg twice daily. You can try this out and see which one helps more. Once your pain is controlled, you can try to reduce the dose to alternate days or even lesser depending on your pain. Folic ac...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for back pain and stiffness?

Query: Hi doctor, My middle back is slightly painful and stiff. I have taken some medicine and it decreased, but not completely. Also, I feel some heaviness in the forehead. Please suggest some treatment.  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

General Practitioner, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the way you described, it seems that you have a locked back. So, you need a few medicines and physiotherapy.Instructions to reduce back pain and stiffness are as follows: Avoid lifting heavy weights, sitting for a long time and two wheeler rides. Avoid arching your...  Read Full »