Ankylosing Spondylitis

Is disc problem the cause of my persistent right leg pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I fell from the bed six years back. Since then, I have pain in the right leg (from the buttock region till feet). It is very difficult for me to sit on hard surfaces like chairs. Even in a steady position, there is a pain in the right leg. I am limping ever since. I took bed rest for 25 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query along with the images. I have gone through your history and the images attached with it (attachments removed to protect the person's identity). Your MRI report shows mild disc bulge, and your symptoms are attributed to it. MRI images are o...  Read Full »

What to do for spinal and lower back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I struggle with spinal and lower back pain for the past four years. It radiates through my ribs. Only I feel great when I have a sleep for four to six hours and I wake up after a few hours due to the excruciating pain. I am so stiff and I can move. I have pulsating pain and I feel like e...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These symptoms can be due to ankylosing spondylitis or spondyloarthropathy. It is an inflammatory arthritis that primarily involves the spine, ribs, and hip joints. These symptoms usually become worsen with rest and it improves with activities. They are associated with ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in shoulder, back and arm after stepping out of my home?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I have a history of a general anxiety disorder, hypertension, high cholesterol, and GERD. I am taking Amlodipine, Atenolol for hypertension, and Atorvastatin for cholesterol. I have shoulder pain, back pain, and arm pain every time when I step out of my house. Wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a slight elevation in TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels and triglyceride is not so high. There is nothing to worry. All these symptoms are ass...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicine for stiffness caused by ankylosing spondylitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed to have ankylosing spondylitis approximately 2 years back. I also had psoriasis, probably due to the same and it is chronic. Of late, there is extreme pain and even more stiffness, especially during the morning. It is no more tolerable and hence I am writing this. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are the answers to your questions. You have been diagnosed as a case of ankylosing spondylitis with psoriasis. Both the condition will affect your joints. Ankylosing will affect mainly axial skeletal joints. Psoriasis mostly affects peripheral joints and is of ...  Read Full »

After I stopped Methotrexate and Exemptia, I develop dryness, skin rashes and joint pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male, an old case of ankylosing spondylitis and was on Methotrexate for 10 years, then switched over to injection Exemptia and after six month of injections, I started developing skin rashes and dryness and lost hairs on my both the legs only on the outer side. I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I went through your case which is indeed a chronic one and has a lot of other manifestations in skin too. Ankylosing spondylitis is commonly associated with psoriasis and so other vasculitis which ...  Read Full »

Why did the pain on the right side of my back move to the hips?

Query: Pain in hips. My lower back on the right side began to ache slightly and the ache moved into my hips, deep in the socket like a tooth ache but in the bone almost, it spread to my other hip and continued for the last 2 days. Only thing that helps is heat, like hot bath, today I was able to move aroun...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Rheumatologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, The common rheumatological disease for your condition which needs to be ruled out based on your history is Spondyloarthritis (SpA). SpA comprises many groups of diseases starting from ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, and others. It usually causes back pain, lower limb arthritis-like ...  Read Full »

How long should Humira be taken?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old male. I have been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for at least 15 years. With very limited mobility and severe pain, I was under continuous medication and was taking Remicade (Infliximab) for the last five years. Till recently, Remicade was working well and my pai...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The recommendations are that you should get Adalimumab for at least 12 weeks, before we can say that you are a nonresponder to the drug. So, it would be the same 12 weeks. There are other anti-TNF drugs (anti-tumor necrosis factor) available such as Etanercept, Golimu...  Read Full »

Will Ankylosing spondylitis cause pain in lower ribs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having pain around my lower ribs towards the back side (left side) since the past eight days. The pain gets worse while lying down and trying to change sides in the night. It also hurts while sneezing or coughing (feels better if I cough or sneeze by holding the area with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In the light of the fact that you are HLA B27 positive, the pain that you are experiencing is due to the same problem. This is called enthesitis, and it occurs due to inflammation at the attachment of muscles to bones. So the treatment also remains similar to that of AS...  Read Full »

What causes intestinal hyperpermeability?

Query: Hello doctor, Is hyperpermeable intestine treatable and or curable? Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope the following information will help you understand the condition first, and thereafter the possibility of cure and treatment. Together it should help you get your answer. To start with, I am sorry, but your question does not have a simple yes or no answer. Norm...  Read Full »

Does lupus cause ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I tested negative for ANA but positive for anti-dsDNA. My GP diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylitis when I have many symptoms of lupus just not the rash. My sister also has lupus and did not test positive for ANA. She has seronegative lupus. I am under the impression that anti-d...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are specific for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), especially if the titers are high. Ankylosing spondylitis does not give you any kind of antibodies. Anti-smith antibodies are the most highly specific antibodies for lupus, but onl...  Read Full »