Ankylosing Spondylitis

After I stopped Methotrexate and Exemptia, I develop dryness, skin rashes and joint pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male, an old case of ankylosing spondylitis and was on Methotrexate for 10 years, then switched over to injection Exemptia and after six month of injections, I started developing skin rashes and dryness and lost hairs on my both the legs only on the outer side. I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I went through your case which is indeed a chronic one and has a lot of other manifestations in skin too. Ankylosing spondylitis is commonly associated with psoriasis and so other vasculitis which ...  Read Full »

Why did the pain on the right side of my back move to the hips?

Query: Pain in hips. My lower back on the right side began to ache slightly and the ache moved into my hips, deep in the socket like a tooth ache but in the bone almost, it spread to my other hip and continued for the last 2 days. Only thing that helps is heat, like hot bath, today I was able to move aroun...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Rheumatologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, The common rheumatological disease for your condition which needs to be ruled out based on your history is Spondyloarthritis (SpA). SpA comprises many groups of diseases starting from ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, and others. It usually causes back pain, lower limb arthritis-like ...  Read Full »

How long should Humira be taken?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old male. I have been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for at least 15 years. With very limited mobility and severe pain, I was under continuous medication and was taking Remicade (Infliximab) for the last five years. Till recently, Remicade was working well and my pai...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The recommendations are that you should get Adalimumab for at least 12 weeks, before we can say that you are a nonresponder to the drug. So, it would be the same 12 weeks. There are other anti-TNF drugs (anti-tumor necrosis factor) available such as Etanercept, Golimu...  Read Full »

Will Ankylosing spondylitis cause pain in lower ribs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having pain around my lower ribs towards the back side (left side) since the past eight days. The pain gets worse while lying down and trying to change sides in the night. It also hurts while sneezing or coughing (feels better if I cough or sneeze by holding the area with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In the light of the fact that you are HLA B27 positive, the pain that you are experiencing is due to the same problem. This is called enthesitis, and it occurs due to inflammation at the attachment of muscles to bones. So the treatment also remains similar to that of AS...  Read Full »

What causes intestinal hyperpermeability?

Query: Hello doctor, Is hyperpermeable intestine treatable and or curable? Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope the following information will help you understand the condition first, and thereafter the possibility of cure and treatment. Together it should help you get your answer. To start with, I am sorry, but your question does not have a simple yes or no answer. Norm...  Read Full »

Does lupus cause ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I tested negative for ANA but positive for anti-dsDNA. My GP diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylitis when I have many symptoms of lupus just not the rash. My sister also has lupus and did not test positive for ANA. She has seronegative lupus. I am under the impression that anti-d...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are specific for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), especially if the titers are high. Ankylosing spondylitis does not give you any kind of antibodies. Anti-smith antibodies are the most highly specific antibodies for lupus, but onl...  Read Full »

What is the chance of sacroiliitis getting worse after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with Sacroiliitis caused by AS and hypermobility, which I manage without tablets, and by doing exercises, stretching and seeing an osteopath once a month to prevent flare-ups. I have also been refered to a rheumatologist with suspected fibromyalgia and I am still...  Read Full »

Dr. Catherine Bevington

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To answer your questions in turn, yes, that will be fine to see a rheumatologist, they should be able to help you. It is hard to say how pregnancy will affect sacroiliitis. Some people improve during pregnancy and some people worsen but there are things that can be ...  Read Full »

Are fat burner supplements advised in ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in the spine. I am taking painkillers, calcium tablets and doing exercise. I have done my HLA B27 test. Can a person suffering from ankylosing spondylitis take fat burner supplements to reduce weight? Would it have any adverse effects?  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no study directly correlating fat burner supplements and their possible effects in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Fat burner supplements often contain caffeine which reduces fat by increasing your metabolic rate. Caffeine also has an untoward effect i...  Read Full »

Is rheumatoid factor a genetic disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question relating to my deceased father. I obtained his medical records after his death. While searching through his records to gain a better understanding of what may happen to me, I found he was positive for the rheumatoid factor and had been diagnosed with ankylosing spon...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, I do not think you should be worried about anything. Firstly rheumatoid factor is not transmitted genetically unlike HLA- B27 (human leucocyte antigen). Secondly, it can be positive in a lot of people but does not cause any symptoms. Thirdly, you have been test...  Read Full »

Please give suggestion on high eosinophil count in a bypass patient.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 47-year-old male. I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for 34 years. I had my bypass surgery before 18 years and having depression then on. Now My eosinophil count is high 1090. I am currently on Pentop 40 in the morning, Fludac 20 once daily after breakfast, Concor 2.5 o...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read a brief summary of your case. You had CABG (bypass heart surgery) after that you are on Concor (Bisoprolol, beta-blocker), Ecosprin AV (combination of Asprin and Atorvastatin). For depression, you are on Fludac (Fluoxetine), and anti-anxiety drug Anxit...  Read Full »