Q. Is Adfar injection a better treatment option for ankylosing spondylitis?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My husband is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, and he is under treatment since last year. His doctor has now suggested Adfrar 40 injections along with physiotherapy and belt. The doctor has also suggested halting swimming until further instructions. I am looking for a second opinion before going forward with this expensive treatment. These days he has been complaining of pain in the right leg. As per the doctor, this is due to problems in the spine. I have attached his spine MRI reports along with all current medication details. Please provide suggestions and opinions.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

• I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his disease does look quite severe. Developing a compression fracture is an indication that the disease activity is high. The reason for stopping exercises would be the fracture itself.
  • The treatment is going fine, so far they have tried Sulfasalazine and Etoshine (Etoricoxib). But when the disease involves the spine, we are left with limited options. And the next step is a biological drug, you can choose either of the three available options. Yes, we need to control the inflammation.
  • The only thing I could not find was the ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C- reactive protein), and CBC (complete blood count). I would have liked to see the inflammation in the blood. 
  • I would suggest going for injection Zoledronic acid. It is for the osteoporosis arising due to immobility of the spine and will help strengthen the spine, preventing further bone loss and fractures.

All in all, you are in the right hands. Feel free to contact me for more queries.

For further queries consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a complaint of severe pain in both the legs in my wife who is 14 weeks pregnant. She is unable to sleep due to the pain. All ANC check and blood tests are fine. This is the second pregnancy. She has complaints of a lot of pain in her legs on both sides, more on the right leg....  Read Full »

Why does my leg pain even after walking short distances?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old and my leg pains while walking. Can I please know what is the reason behind this? This problem started nine years ago. But, now my leg pains after walking even 20 to 30 meters. I am currently on Thyroxine 50 mg. I have had a Doppler ultrasound. Please help.  Read Full »

I have headache, dizziness and restricted neck movement. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a severe headache, tenderness on the head, burning sensation on scalp, mild dizziness, and feeling the heaviness of head with restricted neck movement with pain. Currently, I am taking Levothyroxine 25 mcg for hypothyroidism.  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now