Q. Can tablet Keflex make your diarrhea more severe?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I have recently had diarrhea with a golden brown watery stool. This happened after I had surgery to remove a fatty cyst. The incision became infected with Staphylococcus, and so my doctor prescribed me Keflex. After taking Keflex, I have severe diarrhea. I took two tablets of Imodium and a digestive enzyme yesterday, and today I had a very good poop, but the color seemed a little pale to me. I do not have pain, bloating, weakness, weight loss. But I am still concerned about the color.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from diarrhea with golden brown watery stool. And you are taking tablet Keflex (Cephalexin) for skin and soft tissue infections. According to the pictures provided here (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), the appearance of your stool may result from an overgrowth of Clostridium difficile, and you may have pseudomembranous colitis caused by tablet Keflex. It may take ten days to subside.

Keflex contains cephalexin that belongs to the group of antibiotics known as first-generation cephalosporins. It is used in the treatment of various bacterial infections like skin and soft tissue infections. It is well known for causing pseudomembranous colitis, inflammation, and bleeding in the colon lining.

Clinical features of pseudomembranous colitis are watery diarrhea with greenish or golden brown stools, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, mucus or pus in the stool, fever, dehydration, etc.

I suggest you do a stool examination to confirm the diagnosis. Metronidazole or Vancomycin is the treatment of choice. Ciprofloxacin can also be used.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Does the fact that I have none of the other symptoms you mentioned mean anything?

Thanks.

#

Symptoms of pseudomembranous colitis may vary from person to person. The most common feature of pseudomembranous colitis is diarrhea. Other symptoms which are mentioned above may present or absent, along with diarrhea. Other clinical features like abdominal pain, presence of pus or mucus in the stool, nausea, vomiting, fever, dehydration are not mandatory to diagnose pseudomembranous colitis rather than the presence of diarrhea. A stool study may help to detect the toxins of clostridium difficile, and sigmoidoscopy may help to confirm the diagnosis.

According to your statement, your presenting symptom like watery diarrhea is well controlled now, and within few days, your pseudomembranous colitis will be fully subsided.

Take care.

|