Q. Will taking antibiotics cause diarrhea or loose stools?

Answered by Dr. Srinivas Morampudi and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Antibiotic Side Effect or Diarrhea? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I took antibiotics about a month ago, and ever since the fourth day of antibiotic treatment, I have been suffering from diarrhea or loose stools. On the fourth day, I had bad cramps and loose stools that lasted from the fourth day to the seventh day. This then returned afterward with even worse pains, but this time, I had yellow stool followed by diarrhea. Ever since I have been having loose stools on and off that is foul smelling and mushy. Is this because of the antibiotics, or is it an infection?