Q. Will taking antibiotics cause diarrhea or loose stools?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
Published on Jun 22, 2019

I took antibiotics about a month ago, and ever since the fourth day of antibiotic treatment, I have been suffering from diarrhea or loose stools. On the fourth day, I had bad cramps and loose stools that lasted from the fourth day to the seventh day. This then returned afterward with even worse pains, but this time, I had yellow stool followed by diarrhea. Ever since I have been having loose stools on and off that is foul smelling and mushy. Is this because of the antibiotics, or is it an infection?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Internal Medicine
#

Your diarrhea could be a direct side effect of the antibiotic, in which case, it should resolve after stopping the antibiotic. It could also be due to a condition called Clostridium difficile infection (C. diff for short). C. diff is a bacterium typically found in the intestines of most people. But under certain circumstances (frequent exposure to antibiotics), a couple of strains of this bacteria can multiply and produce toxins (called C diff toxin A and B). This can provide diarrhea-sometimes bloody, with crampy abdominal pain.

I suggest getting tested for C diff. You need to submit a stool sample for C diff toxin. If it is positive, there are treatments for it includes oral Vancomycin, Fidaxomicin, or Metronidazole. I hope this helps.

| 

What are the causes of white and yellow lesion with a red border on my tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have small white and yellow lesions with a red border on my tongue. My tongue also develops a white coating, that has to be scrapped of daily. I have attached a photo of the same. What are the likely causes?  Read Full »

My son often has severe cough in the mornings. Could it be an allergy?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 years and 8 months old. He has a severe cough nowadays, especially in the morning. I am currently giving him Levolin syrup for his cough. Also, he vomits after a bout of a cough. He has a history of wheezing and was prescribed nebulizers by the doctor. I need to give him...  Read Full »