Q. A patient with a fresh knee replacement has taken pre-medication Amoxicillin 2g. What antibiotic can be given for her tooth abscess?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Apr 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jul 01, 2019

I have a patient with a fresh knee replacement, and of course takes premedication Amoxicillin 2g, one-hour pretreatment. She now has a tooth abscess, and I want to give her antibiotics. My thought is, since she has to always use Penicillin as a pre-medication, I would change the antibiotics.But she also has a colon resection, and Clindamycin probably would not be a good one to use. Can I give her Ciprofloxacin? Also, on her next appointment, should she go ahead and take the 2g of Amoxicillin as usual, or Ciprofloxacin or what can be used as a pre-medication? Thank you.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

1. Amoxicillin is still a better antibiotic for a dental abscess as compared to other medicines. It is the first choice of medicine even for a dental abscess.
  2. It is better to continue with amoxycillin as a treatment option for her.
  3. Metronidazole or clindamycin is given only in case of severe infection.
  4. The order of preference of drugs for a dental abscess in a patient is Amoxicillin, Erythromycin or Clarithromycin or Clindamycin, and Metronidazole.
  5. Ciprofloxacin is usually not given at first.
  6. She can be given amoxicillin on her next appointment as well.

The above information is as per latest updates on pharmacological treatment of a dental abscess. Please keep in mind any allergy the patient might have to any of the medications and prescribe an alternative choice. Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Which acne cream is causing dry, flaky skin around eyes and burns on cheek?

Query: Hi doctor,Recently I have been prescribed Tretinoin 0.25 cream and Benzaclin gel for my mild acne but ever since I started I have been getting dry and flaky skin around my eyes and mouth and burns on my cheek. Which cream is causing this? And how do I continue using them, if so?  Read Full »

Will taking Metronidazole and Tergynan affect baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in fir...  Read Full »

Ask a Pharmacologist Now