Q. A patient with a fresh knee replacement has taken pre-medication Amoxicillin 2g. What antibiotic can be given for her tooth abscess?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Antibiotic For Dental Abscess or Amoxicillin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have a patient with a fresh knee replacement, and of course takes premedication Amoxicillin 2g, one-hour pretreatment. She now has a tooth abscess, and I want to give her antibiotics. My thought is, since she has to always use Penicillin as a pre-medication, I would change the antibiotics.But she also has a colon resection, and Clindamycin probably would not be a good one to use. Can I give her Ciprofloxacin? Also, on her next appointment, should she go ahead and take the 2g of Amoxicillin as usual, or Ciprofloxacin or what can be used as a pre-medication? Thank you.