Q. My sexual desire has gone down after taking Flunil. Should I stop taking this drug?

Published on Jun 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am a 35 year old male. Recently, I consulted a psychiatrist for a health issue and the doctor prescribed tablet Flunil 20, an antidepressant. After about two to three weeks, I noticed that I was becoming more and more asexual. My sexual desire and interest started to diminish. I can masturbate but it is not pleasurable and I end up extremely dissatisfied and tired at the end. My overall sexual desire has gone down and sexual feelings are kind of lost. Are these the side effects of the antidepressant drug? Should I stop taking this drug?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Fluoxetine (Flunil 20) belongs to the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) class of antidepressants. Fluoxetine is one of the notorious antidepressants in relation to sexual side effects. The available data indicate that about 30 to 40 % of those taking Fluoxetine develop some sexual side effects.

In regard to the reversal of side effects, it is said that once you stop the drug, the side effects recover almost completely.

There is no need to worry if you are recovering from the ailment for which Flunil was prescribed. But, if you do not see any improvement even after four weeks of treatment, then it is advisable to stop Flunil and use a better alternative.

Can psychiatric medicines make you feel lazy?

Query: Hi Doctor, I am taking the following psychiatric medications: Oleptal DT 300 1-0-1, Encorate Chrono 300 1-0-1, Zipsydon 80 1-0-1, Flunil 60 1-1-0, Zapiz 0.5 1-1-1, Provanol 10 1-1-1 and Waklert 150 1-0-0. I feel lazy and have low libido. Tentex forte is not working for me. Please modify my dosage, s...  Read Full »

Is sleep disturbance a side effect of Fluoxetine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very sad, and I am surrounded by negative thoughts and anxiety. I have taken Fluoxetine (Fludac 20) for 6 weeks. Now I am fine, but I wake up early in the morning around 3.30 AM. Hence having disturbed sleep in the morning. My doctor changed medicine to Flunil 40. I think this dose ...  Read Full »