Q. I overdosed on Benadryl and I feel lightheaded. When will I feel normal?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am a healthy 15 year old male. It has been two weeks since I overdosed on Benadryl and I still feel lightheaded and everything is like a dream.

The dose I had taken was 500mg. I also get random confusion spells. When will I feel normal?

#

• Benadryl consists of Diphenhydramine and the drug is an antihistaminic drug.
  • In high doses it causes side effects like blurred vision, dry mouth, confusion, delirium, severe sedation etc.
  • In very high doses this may result in death also. So, I would advise you to please avoid overdose in future. 
  • Usually the toxicity symptoms reduce in about a week and individuals recover, but mild form of toxicity symptoms like confusion, drowsiness, dizzy feeling, restlessness etc., may persist even for up to 4 weeks.
  • So, try to relax yourself, such episodes of restlessness may occur for some time.
  • If symptoms are causing impairment in functioning, then low dose anti-anxiety drugs like Benzodiazepines as Clonazepam or Alprazolam can help.
  • These drugs would reduce any anxiety and confusion. You should take these drugs with proper prescription only.
  • Avoid alcohol, excess tea or coffee for a few days.

Revert back to a general practitioner online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Thank you doctor for your quick reply.

Yes, this was the first time I tried this extra dose for the persistent cough. I will never do this again. Why did this happen?

#

Hello again and welcome to icliniq.com.

• These symptoms had occurred probably because of the anticholinergic side effects of Benadryl.
  • This may persist for a few days as confusion, dream like state etc.
  • With proper relaxation therapy and exercise you would improve.

For further follow up, consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|