Q. I get very anxious while overthinking about some things. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2021

I am having anxiety towards bats. I remember touching them once two or three years ago. But now I am overthinking about it. Right now, I am having a lot of stress regarding upcoming exams as well. Please help.

Can rabies be manifested after 2 to 3 years?

I have taken anti-rabies shots six months back.

Can rabies manifest after two or three years?

I am overthinking a lot, and I am stressed.

#

From your query, it is apparent that you have high anxiety levels, which is distressing you. As you rightly said, you are overthinking here.

It looks like your upcoming exams may have increased your stress levels, which can exacerbate any underlying anxiety.

Is there any reason for being worried about rabies? It looks like you have taken anti-rabies vaccination, and developing rabies after few years is highly unlikely. It will help you to develop strategies to manage stress and anxiety. You can also follow these lifestyle interventions to manage stress levels. Remember that anxiety happens when you overestimate the likelihood that something bad will happen and underestimate your ability to handle it. Regular exercise for atleast 20 to 30 minutes daily. Practice deep breathing techniques - Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose for four counts, pause for two counts, and then exhale slowly through your mouth for eight counts of breath. Do it for 5 to 10 minutes twice daily. It will help you to calm down. Try to do Jacobson's progressive muscle relaxation exercises. Do it for 10 to 15 minutes daily. It will help lessen stress and anxiety. If your feel like overthinking, distract yourself by listening to music, watching TV, connecting with family and friends. Try to open up and talk to a trusted family member or friend, which can lower your stress significantly. If anxiety is severe, persistent, and if you are not able to function normally, it is suggestive of an anxiety disorder. It will help if you consult a doctor in your country for a thorough assessment. Psychological therapy like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) will be helpful to overcome anxiety and specific phobias. In some situations, medications like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) may be needed.

Yes, I will follow your advice. Thank you.

This has been happening for quite some time now. My mind just ponders on some thoughts and then I tend to overthink on them and get very anxious. If it persists, I will definitely consult.

#

That sounds fine. Keep following the lifestyle interventions as suggested. See how you feel after a few weeks. If anxiety is persistent, have further consultation. Gradually you will feel better.

Take care.

|