Q. Suffering from generalized anxiety disorder and low self esteem. Is there any solutions?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am 23 years old. I am suffering from a generalized anxiety disorder since childhood. One of the reasons for it is a physical defect I have, which makes me self-conscious. I got to know very early that something is wrong with me. I have consulted many psychiatrists and tried many medicines. Nothing helps except sleeping. I am now addicted to masturbation. I am unable to concentrate on anything I do. I have consistent negative thoughts. I have low self-esteem. Recently, I completed an MBA and did not get placed due to my issues. I need to build my career soon. It is getting worse. I am losing interest in life.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

A lot of individuals have generalized anxiety disorder and this often causes significant comorbidity and depression. What kind of physical defect do you have?

Regarding masturbation, it is a safe and healthy habit. It does not affect physical, mental or reproductive health. So, do not worry.

Do take treatment for generalized anxiety and depression. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs like Fluoxetine or Escitalopram can be used for treatment. Both are activating and will not cause sleepiness or drowsiness.

These drugs are non-addictive and safe to use. For episodes of severe anxiety, Propranolol can be used. So please consult a psychiatrist for evaluation and treatment.

With regular treatment in optimum doses, you will be alright. Take care.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you doctor,

Will one of the various shock therapies be suitable for me?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Based on your description, I do not think electroconvulsive is necessary. But, a newer technique rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation) will be beneficial for you.

The technique is very safe, has no serious side effects and is administered in sessions. This will help in reducing your anxiety and depression.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is there a better medication to use long-term for generalized anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I have GAD problem for more than two decades. Right now I am using Mirtazapine 15 mg and Rivotril 0.25 on SOS. Is there a better medication for long-term use? Previously I used Fludac 20 mg, Trazodone 25 mg and Buspar 5 mg (three times). After I shifted to Mirtaz. My problem is insuffic...  Read Full »

Taking 5mg lorazapam for anxiety disorder gives poor response. Is it safe to take one more tablet?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have panic/anxiety disorder and was prescribed with 5mg lorazepam. I took one tablet at 8 PM but still l would wake up anxious in the morning. Is it safe to take one more tablet?  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.