Q. Suffering from generalized anxiety disorder and low self esteem. Is there any solutions?

Hello doctor,

I am 23 years old. I am suffering from a generalized anxiety disorder since childhood. One of the reasons for it is a physical defect I have, which makes me self-conscious. I got to know very early that something is wrong with me. I have consulted many psychiatrists and tried many medicines. Nothing helps except sleeping. I am now addicted to masturbation. I am unable to concentrate on anything I do. I have consistent negative thoughts. I have low self-esteem. Recently, I completed an MBA and did not get placed due to my issues. I need to build my career soon. It is getting worse. I am losing interest in life.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

A lot of individuals have generalized anxiety disorder and this often causes significant comorbidity and depression. What kind of physical defect do you have?

Regarding masturbation, it is a safe and healthy habit. It does not affect physical, mental or reproductive health. So, do not worry.

Do take treatment for generalized anxiety and depression. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs like Fluoxetine or Escitalopram can be used for treatment. Both are activating and will not cause sleepiness or drowsiness.

These drugs are non-addictive and safe to use. For episodes of severe anxiety, Propranolol can be used. So please consult a psychiatrist for evaluation and treatment.

With regular treatment in optimum doses, you will be alright. Take care.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Will one of the various shock therapies be suitable for me?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Based on your description, I do not think electroconvulsive is necessary. But, a newer technique rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation) will be beneficial for you.

The technique is very safe, has no serious side effects and is administered in sessions. This will help in reducing your anxiety and depression.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|