Q. I am suffering from abdominal pain and missed my period for two months. Is it due to appendicitis?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 05, 2019

I am 15 years old. I am having abdominal pain for a month now. Sometimes localized on the right side or left side. Mostly, the pain is all over the abdomen and going to the back and pelvis as well slightly. It is recurring, sometimes serious, sometimes dull ache and sometimes mild. Also, I have not had my menstruation for two months. Doctor recommended ultrasound and ultrasound came with a report of mild appendicitis. I went to the ER, but the pain subsided by then and was recommended to go back home and come when it is severe. When pain gets severe, by the time we reach the hospital it subsides. I went to the doctor again, they gave me pills for irregular menstruation. I have a loss of appetite. I do not want a temporary solution for my pain as I have already visited three different doctors (one in the ER, one who gave Ultrasound, and one who gave hormonal pills). I am having a doubt if it could be pancreatic cancer or ovarian cancer? I am very scared. Also, I have not started the pills yet and it is three months now I did not get my menstruation. My menstruation started three years ago. I do not have diarrhea or constipation. No headaches and nausea.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

The first thing to be ruled out in amenorrhea or not having menstruation is pregnancy, get a urine pregnancy test done. If there is no possibility of such a thing, then start your hormonal pills and get your menstruation. Amenorrhea could also be due to stress, yet times stay cool. Prolong amenorrhea causes lower abdominal discomfort. If once you get menstruation your symptoms may subside. It could not be ovarian or pancreatic cancer chances are very less. Regarding appendicitis, it is often associated with fever and vomitings and the pain does not subside until the appendix is removed. Sometimes in mild cases, it can be treated with antibiotics. If you are still suspicious get a repeat scan done.

|