Q. I have joint pain, anemia, swollen lymph node, and fever. Is rheumatoid arthritis the cause?

Dr. Nischith
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2021

I am a 22-year-old female. My height is 5 feet 3 inches and my weight is 97 lbs. I started experiencing pain in my joints an year ago. The pain continued and increased in intensity. Before eight months I was told that my blood was a bit low. I fractured my arm very easily seven months ago. After that the pain was a bit better since I was taking Dipirona. For my blood I was given Iron tablets, Folic acid, Vitamin C, and Multivitamins. Four months back I was hospitalized for fever, joint pain, and anemia. I was diagnosed with anemia due to deficiency of iron. The joint pain continued and was later diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. My rheumatoid arthritis factor, erythrocyte sedimentation rate were high. I have swollen and inflamed joints and still had anemia. I was given therapy of ozone gas for 20 days and took Prednisone for roughly three months. Now I am told that I do not have arthritis and I am confused. My symptoms now include slight muscle or joint pain, anemia, swollen lymph nodes, low grade fever only for a few days not more than three, fatigue, and sore throat at night. I have a raised spot that appears and disappears on my chest (not sure if this is important) Leukogram reading was 5.1*10⁹, lymphocytes- 0.32, platelets- 0.67, eosinophil- 0.3*10⁹, MCV- 79.3 ,MCHC- 29.7, globulin- 5.3 g/dL, LDH- 649.7 hematocrit from 0.28 to 0.33. I hope I was clear with my query.

#

I understand that you have been diagnosed with rheumatic arthritis through your blood and clinical parameters. You have been treated for anemia and arm fracture. Your blood reports say you have high inflammatory markers. To diagnose rheumatic arthritis, we need to have several symptoms and signs. We analyze based on ACR (American college of rheumatology), EULAR (European League against rheumatism) criteria- multiple joint pain, RA (rheumatoid arthritis) factor value, anti-CCP (cyclic citrullinated peptide) value, raised ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (c-reactive protein) and symptom duration. Studying your history, you can be classified as rheumatic arthritis. Being diagnosed, you need not worry as it is a treatable condition. It usually follows a waxing waning course which means you can have acute symptoms for a week and slowly symptom-free period for a couple of months. It needs vigorous treatment if it is causing erosion of joints. Kindly follow back with X-rays if I can be of help. Thank you.

|