Q. Is Electrophysiological study necessary for heartbeat irregularities?

I am a 30 year old male, and I have a heart condition from when I was three years old. My heartbeats get very fast all of a sudden. What is the name of my heart problem? The ECG report was not normal. I am taking ayurvedic medicines for this problem. A doctor told me to get a surgery done, but I do not want to get an operation. Please help.

#

Your heart condition is a cardiac arrhythmia, which is called PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia), in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases.

The blood pressure falls during these episodes, and one has dizziness, fainting, blackouts, and sometimes syncope.

ln order to abort such episodes, you should try to cough hard or do neck massage as advised.

There are two options for this as follows.

1. If it is well controlled on medicine and you are not willing for electrophysiological studies, then you can continue with medicine. But you need to take this medicine lifelong.
  2. Electrophysiological studies, which is an invasive test and it is a minor procedure, which can treat the arrhythmia permanently in most of the cases. During this procedure, the doctor approaches your heart through an artery with needle and wire.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|