Q. I felt as if my heart stopped beating. Could this be a panic attack symptom?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Breathlessness or Arrhythmias? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I wanted to know if you could answer one question for me. I experienced an episode that lasted roughly about two to three minutes where I felt that I could not seem to catch my breath and it felt as if my heart had stopped beating. I checked my heart rate roughly three minutes after the incident and it was at 60 bpm and my oxygen was at 99 % under two weeks ago. I had a routine 24 tape which was clear (ectopic beats picked up but were benign). I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. However, they generally come on during stressful situations. Could this be a panic attack symptom? I also wanted to add that this happened during intercourse (I am a 35-year-old male, height is 174 cm and weight is 100 kg). I look forward to your response and suggestions.