Q. My leg and knee muscles are stiff with restricted walking due to arthritis. Please advise medicine.

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

I am suffering from arthritis for about a year. Due to arthritis, I am almost on the bed for six months. Now I am fit but as I was on bed for six months my leg muscles (behind the knee) was badly stiffed and band to 90 degrees. I cannot stretch my legs straight, because the leg muscles which is behind the knee is hard and badly stiffed. I cannot walk.

My doctor advised me to exercises, but I do the exercises for the past two months but there is no satisfactory relief. Now please advise me on any medicines, topical ointment and multivitamins or anything, so that I can recover fast.

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have studied your case. As per your symptoms you need to do physiotherapy and knee exercises to improve the range of motion. You need to consult a physiotherapist for proper rehabilitation. Initially, quadriceps strengthening and range of motion exercises are important, later on against résistance theraband exercises.

You can flex and extend your knee while lying supine flat on the bed with the foot resting on the bed. With standing position, you can lift your patella superiorly as you do in quadriceps strengthening exercises. You can also squat with support of a wall to back and gradually increase your knee range of motion. CPM (continuous passive motion) physiotherapy machine will help for knee range of motion. Mobilization under anesthesia may help if not recovered.

|