Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My leg and knee muscles are stiff with restricted walking due to arthritis. Please advise medicine.

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am suffering from arthritis for about a year. Due to arthritis, I am almost on the bed for six months. Now I am fit but as I was on bed for six months my leg muscles (behind the knee) was badly stiffed and band to 90 degrees. I cannot stretch my legs straight, because the leg muscles which is behind the knee is hard and badly stiffed. I cannot walk.

My doctor advised me to exercises, but I do the exercises for the past two months but there is no satisfactory relief. Now please advise me on any medicines, topical ointment and multivitamins or anything, so that I can recover fast.

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Orthopedics And Traumatology


Welcome to

I have studied your case. As per your symptoms you need to do physiotherapy and knee exercises to improve the range of motion. You need to consult a physiotherapist for proper rehabilitation. Initially, quadriceps strengthening and range of motion exercises are important, later on against résistance theraband exercises.

You can flex and extend your knee while lying supine flat on the bed with the foot resting on the bed. With standing position, you can lift your patella superiorly as you do in quadriceps strengthening exercises. You can also squat with support of a wall to back and gradually increase your knee range of motion. CPM (continuous passive motion) physiotherapy machine will help for knee range of motion. Mobilization under anesthesia may help if not recovered.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can arthritis be confirmed?
Kindly advice treatment for knee stiffness in osteoarthritis patient.
How to find out the reason for extreme sweating, muscle stiffness and cramp?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can generalized anxiety with DPDR and muscle stiffness be cured completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I have severe generalized anxiety that started 10 years ago and it has become very severe now. I have anxiety attacks, DPDR everyday, muscle stiffness, shaking hands and legs. I had changed four medicines, first on Sertraline no effect, then on Fluoxetine, it works only on specific...  Read Full »

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Article Overview: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation and pain in the joints throughout the body Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis? Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation and pain in the joints throughout the body. It is a long-term and disabling disease. This disease usually affects the joints of the hands and feet first, and if one side of the joint ...  Read Article

Why am I having neck and shoulder stiffness after C1 and C2 surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done my C1 and C2 surgery with screw fixation. After three months, my head is little flexible to move down and backward but not left and right (the surgery moto is not to turn my head). But for the past one week, I am facing that my neck is very stiff and my right shoulder feels l...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.