iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersRheumatologyarthritisDoes lupus cause ankylosing spondylitis?

Will positive anti-ds DNA help in diagnosing ankylosing spondylitis?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At December 31, 2019
Reviewed AtJanuary 1, 2024

Patient's Query

I tested negative for ANA but positive for anti-ds DNA. My GP diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylitis when I have many symptoms of lupus just not the rash. My sister also has lupus and did not test positive for ANA. She has seronegative lupus. I am under the impression that anti-dsDNA has nothing to do with ankylosing spondylitis. Is that correct? I am currently taking Gabapentin, Tizanidine, Naproxen, and Levothyroxine.

You are right. Anti-dsDNA antibodies are specific for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), especially if the titers are high. Ankylosing spondylitis does not give you any kind of antibodies. Anti-smith antibodies are the most highly specific antibodies for lupus, but only a small percentage of people with lupus have them. Did you get that test? But it is strange that your ANA (antinuclear antibody) was negative. Anti-dsDNA is a type of ANA. I believe it is a false positive. A normal sedimentation rate essentially rules out inflammatory pathology. Lupus is an inflammatory disease. To begin with, we need to know more about your symptoms. SLE is diagnosed based on the symptoms and signs along with laboratory tests. It is not diagnosed just on the basis of an antibody test. You can get false positive tests (positive tests in the absence of disease). So please get back to me with details of your symptoms. Based on the information you gave, I do not think you have lupus. There are no blood tests that can diagnose ankylosing spondylitis (AS). HLA-B27 is more common in people with AS, but it is not diagnostic. AS diagnosis needs clinical and radiological criteria. I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Rheumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy