Q. I have dust allergy and asthma. Will airpurifier or room heater help?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

I have a dust allergy. Recently I a had wheezing problem for few days that even Asthalin could not help which I used mildly a few times in a year. After a few days of Doxolin and other tabs, I got relieved. My city AQI is around 80 to 100 in a week, I traveled to two cities where AQI ranges from 100 to 170 and stayed for three weeks. What precautions should I take? Now that it is winter as well, my colleague suggests bringing down humidity using room heaters could help. Is that true? Should I buy a room heater or travel air purifier? Are they effective at all? I have to be choosy as they all add weight to luggage. I have attached two prescriptions that I had taken in the last two months.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attachments you have provided. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The possibility of asthma and allergic rhinitis is more likely. So it is better to consult pulmonologist in person and get done the clinical examination and PFT (pulmonary function test). Treatment of asthma is based on severity which is determined by PFT. The best treatment is inhaled corticosteroid (ICS). And heater and humidifier both are useful in your case. Actually the purposes of both are different. If pollution is high then, the purifier will be more beneficial. And for winters, the heater is beneficial.

| 

I am facing both winter and pollution. So should I buy both? Is it advisable to travel to cities of such AQI?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

#

If you have pollution then you should definitely buy a purifier. For you, it will be better if you can avoid. May I know which city and profession you are talking about?

|