HomeAnswersPulmonology (Asthma Doctors)asthmaDoes air purifiers or room heater help in case of asthma and dust allergy?

I have dust allergy and asthma. Will airpurifier or room heater help?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 2, 2019
Reviewed AtJuly 7, 2023

Patient's Query

I have a dust allergy. Recently I a had wheezing problem for few days that even Asthalin could not help which I used mildly a few times in a year. After a few days of Doxolin and other tabs, I got relieved. My city air quality index (AQI) is around 80 to 100 in a week, I traveled to two cities where AQI ranges from 100 to 170 and stayed for three weeks. What precautions should I take? Now that it is winter as well, my colleague suggests bringing down humidity using room heaters could help. Is that true? Should I buy a room heater or travel air purifier? Are they effective at all? I have to be choosy as they all add weight to luggage. I have attached two prescriptions that I had taken in the last two months.

Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attachments you have provided. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The possibility of asthma and allergic rhinitis is more likely. So it is better to consult pulmonologist in person and get done the clinical examination and PFT (pulmonary function test). Treatment of asthma is based on severity which is determined by PFT. The best treatment is inhaled corticosteroid (ICS). And heater and humidifier both are useful in your case. Actually the purposes of both are different. If pollution is high then, the purifier will be more beneficial. And for winters, the heater is beneficial. I hope this helps.

Patient's Query

I am facing both winter and pollution. So should I buy both? Is it advisable to travel to cities of such air quality index (AQI)?

Welcome back to icliniq.com. If you have pollution then you should definitely buy a purifier. For you, it will be better if you can avoid. May I know which city and profession you are talking about?

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

asthmadust allergy

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy