Q. What causes wheezing and cough in an asthmatic patient?

Dr. Nnaedozie Umeani
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 10, 2020

Wheezing, mild sputum, cough for the last 5 days, asthmatic patient and weather change happening. Please advise.

#

I understand you have wheezing and a productive cough for the past 5 days. You are likely having an acute exacerbation of asthma. It could have been triggered by viral infection, cold environment, allergens such as pollen, dust, strong odor, etc. I would also love to know if you had a fever, runny nose or currently having chest pain or shortness of breath? Any contact with a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 positive patient? (due to the current pandemic), color of sputum, is sputum bloody? How many episodes of same complaints you have had recently?

Chest X-ray
COVID 19 screening

-Acute upper respiratory tract infection
-Community acquired Pneumonia

Acute exacerbation of asthma.

I would suggest you use
- Prednisolone tablets 10 mg, 3 times a day for a week
- Continue with the Levolin inhaler 2 puffs whenever needed and Allegra M, 1 tablet per day
- If symptoms persist, you will have to use a nebulizer if available or in a nearby hospital

Identify and avoid triggers like cold temperature, pollen, dust, strong odors, etc.

Please, I would love to follow up as soon as the investigations are available or you provide answers to the questions or if you got further question.

|