Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What can I do to recover my eyesight?

Answered by
Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have a problem with my left eye called astigmatism. My vision without glass is 1/10 and with glass it is just 3/10.



Welcome to

Please send me your investigation report and other relevant details to comment further.Revert back with the reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I would like to know my exact problem. Please advise on what can I do to recover maximum eyesight without glasses.



Welcome to

  • From this prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can understand that there is a difference of refraction in both the eyes.
  • If the difference is more than 1 diopter between the two eyes, then there is a chance of amblyopia, also called as lazy eye.
  • If this refractive error is not corrected in childhood, then the vision will not develop properly in that eye. As that eye sees blurred images and it gets developed in the same way.
  • Treatment of this condition is glasses and patching of normal eye while doing some attentive work to improve the weak eye. Usually, patching is useful in younger age.
  • Please answer a few questions. What is your age? Have you ever used patching?
  • Do you have any other eye problem? Is there any history of eye surgery?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I am 23 years old and I never used patching before or any surgery. If I patch the normal eye, I can read just big texts near to me. But, I could not use my phone or computer or recognize faces. Sometimes, I can see only blurry things and overlapping colors.



Welcome back to

  • Actually, you need a complete eye examination. On the attached prescription, eye examination is not written.
  • Also, your best corrected visual acuity that is how much you can see with glasses is not mentioned. The vision you are describing is approximate.
  • So, I would recommend you to get a complete eye examination from a specialist, not only refraction to rule out the exact cause of decreased vision.
  • Without full eye examination, I will not recommend patching. Once your doctor examines you and makes the diagnosis of amblyopia, then you can try patching.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have low self esteem due to my lazy eye. Please help.

.. seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does not look like you have either cross eyes or squint. Regarding lazy eye, we have to check your eye power. Do not be disappointed. Telecanthus is present, which means that ...   Read full

18-weeks-old baby diagnosed with congenital glaucoma and aniridia. Kindly help.

.. a good sign that glaucoma is under control and cornea has started clearing out. But the main problem here is to stop development of amblyopia which is basically a state where due to prolong blurring of vision brain. Basically starts rejecting imag...   Read full

Can you tell me if a unilateral posterior polar cataract has congenital onset?

.. had an HSV (herpes simplex virus) infection, there are increased chances that this polar cataract is congenital (since birth). Now, during initial years, if there is a hindrance in vision, then due to cataract deprivation, amblyopia sets in. Your...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.