Q. What can I do to recover my eyesight?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I have a problem with my left eye called astigmatism. My vision without glass is 1/10 and with glass it is just 3/10.

#

Please send me your investigation report and other relevant details to comment further.Revert back with the reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I would like to know my exact problem. Please advise on what can I do to recover maximum eyesight without glasses.

#

• From this prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can understand that there is a difference of refraction in both the eyes.
  • If the difference is more than 1 diopter between the two eyes, then there is a chance of amblyopia, also called as lazy eye.
  • If this refractive error is not corrected in childhood, then the vision will not develop properly in that eye. As that eye sees blurred images and it gets developed in the same way.
  • Treatment of this condition is glasses and patching of normal eye while doing some attentive work to improve the weak eye. Usually, patching is useful in younger age.
  • Please answer a few questions. What is your age? Have you ever used patching?
  • Do you have any other eye problem? Is there any history of eye surgery?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I am 23 years old and I never used patching before or any surgery. If I patch the normal eye, I can read just big texts near to me. But, I could not use my phone or computer or recognize faces. Sometimes, I can see only blurry things and overlapping colors.

#

• Actually, you need a complete eye examination. On the attached prescription, eye examination is not written.
  • Also, your best corrected visual acuity that is how much you can see with glasses is not mentioned. The vision you are describing is approximate.
  • So, I would recommend you to get a complete eye examination from a specialist, not only refraction to rule out the exact cause of decreased vision.
  • Without full eye examination, I will not recommend patching. Once your doctor examines you and makes the diagnosis of amblyopia, then you can try patching.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|