Q. Does my 5-year-old son need to wear glasses all the time and throughout life for astigmatism?

Dr. Sankaran Mathangee

My son is 5-years-old. We had an annual eye checkup, and he was diagnosed to have astigmatism in his eyes.

My concerns are:

1) Does he need to wear glasses all the time and throughout life?

2) Can it ever fix or cure?

3) If he does not wear eyeglasses, will it go worse, or will it stay like this?

4) Does it help by any medication or only laser surgery?

5) If a laser is the only treatment, at what age should we think about it?

Thanks.

#

The answers are as follows;

1) Yes, he needs to wear glasses constantly.

2) You can do lasik or other procedures later only if it is necessary.

3) Yes, if he does not wear glasses, it will worsen.

4) He can undergo laser treatment after 20 years of age.

I hope I have answered all your questions.

Thanks for the reply.

If he needs to wear glasses constantly, does it mean that he needs to wear them from morning to night until he sleeps? Or is it only during screen-time?

Does this issue stay forever, or it gets corrected? Will he remain with glasses always, unless we go for surgery?

Thanks.

#

Yes, he has to wear it constantly from morning to night till he sleeps. Initially, he will be hesitant, but he will get used to it eventually. You can get him plastic lenses so that it will not break. Motivate him to wear glasses by giving some treat or by rewarding him. If he constantly wears, his chance of power increase will reduce. The power he already has will not vanish, and there is a chance of it increasing until age 21. So annual follow-up is recommended.

When he gets a bit older, he can go in for contact lenses or lasik, depending on that time.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

|