Q. I have slight astigmatism in the left eye. Should I need to wear glasses regularly or only if needed?

Dr. Dada Peer K
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a short-sight and -0.5 diopters in both eyes and slight astigmatism in the left eye. So I wonder whether I need to wear these glasses all day or only when needed? I wonder what is better for my eyes, in which case it is less likely that I will increase diopter? What is better, if I wear them regularly or wear them only when I need them, for example, while driving or in the cinema?

Thank you for your response.

Best regards.

#

It seems from the history that you are having mild myopia of -0.5 dioptres in both the eyes with mild astigmatism in the left eye. Since the refractive error is significantly less, you can wear the glasses only when you need but try to wear as more as possible. There are chances of increasing refractive error seen in children up to 18 to 21 years. Once the eyeball stops growth, which usually occurs by this age, a further increase in the refractive error is unlikely. I guess you are aged more than 21 years and hence no need to worry about the increase in refractive error.

I hope the information is helpful to you.

{{data.answer_ext.pb_cause}}

{{data.answer_ext.lab_t}}

{{data.answer_ext.ddx}}

{{data.answer_ext.pdx}}

{{data.answer_ext.treatment_plan}}

{{data.answer_ext.p_tips}}

{{data.answer_ext.followup}}

|