Q. What causes itchy spots with pus?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Apr 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 15 month old baby is having spots with pus. It is itchy and scaly. The spots have increased in a week. It seems to heal, but then they appear in other region. I have attached the photos. Kindly check them. Thank you.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I have gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You child has atopic eczema (atopic dermatitis). He scratched it a lot and so the lesion got infected. Basically, two things have to be in mind.

1. First, we need to treat atopic eczema.
  2. Secondly, treat infection due to uncontrolled scratching in eczema.

Atopic eczema is very common problem, as age increases it goes of itself.

Keep the skin moisturized. Use some good moisturizer and apply it four to five times in a day. More the skin is hydrated lesser the itching.

Avoid exposure to dust, chemical, powder, irritant clothes, spicy food and sea food.

Cut the nails and keep body clean. Avoid over use of soap and shampoo as these are too chemical only.

Use steroid cream like Diprovate (Betamethasone dipropionate), Clonate (Clobetasol propionate) over itchy eczema. It should not be applied on infected, crusted and bled part.

Antihistamines are a must. Give syrup Atarax (Hydroxyzine) 2.5 mL thrice a day.

For crusted and infected area use T-bact cream (Mupirocin ointment) twice a day. Let it heal. Continue it for months till allergy subsides.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can you suggest any effective ayurvedic oil for atopic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is suffering from atopic dermatitis from the past five years. She is going to be 6 years old in a few months. We have taken her to multiple doctors including allopathy, ayurveda, homeopathy, etc. Could you please suggest any effective ayurvedic oils for giving relief to he...  Read Full »

Eczema - Treatment and Prevention

Article Overview: The word eczema is synonymous with dermatitis. It is used for itchy and inflamed skin. Eczema can be acute, subacute or chronic depending upon the duration of the presentation. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

The word eczema is synonymous with dermatitis. It is used for itchy and inflamed skin. Eczema can be acute, subacute or chronic depending upon the duration of the presentation. How Is Eczema Classified? Eczema can be broadly classified into: Endogenous eczema - The most prevalent in the population ...  Read Article

My baby is suffering from eczema. Please suggest some treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, My 5 months old baby has pretty bad eczema. Just recently, he had a bad flare-up in which he was weeping from both legs, arms, hands and cheeks. For 80% of the day he is suffering with rash and seems to have no relief at all. He scratches and cries continuously throughout the day and wak...  Read Full »