Q. What is the treatment followed for acyanotic heart disease in a six month baby?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My baby is six months old female. Recently, we did a 2D echo test, and the result came as acyanotic congenital heart disease. The report shows a small sized ostium secundum ASD with left to right shunt across the defect, approximately with a size of 8 mm. Why does it occur? What can I do now? Can medicine cure it? Does it require surgery? Please suggest.

#

I have gone through your child's report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is an atrial septal defect. Have a follow up till the age of one and a half to two years. There is 80 to 90 % chance for the defect to get closed by itself. If not, when the child attains a weight of 11 kilograms, a decision can be made to close it either by a device or by open surgery (rarely required). There is no specific cause for this to occur and in some cases, it may be genetic.

| 

Will OS ASD cure on its own in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor,My son (1-month-old baby) is suffering from breathing problems and lung infection. We went to a pediatrician, he suggested doing 2D echo. In that we found moderate OS ASD. Will it cure on its own? Please give a suggestion.  Read Full »

Are angiography and stent good for ischemic heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother got a sudden heart pain. I took her to the hospital. After ECG And further processing, we came to know that she got ischemic heart disease and her two valves of the heart are closed. She has diabetes and blood pressure problems due to which atherosclerosis occurred three days ago...  Read Full »

Should my friend opt for heart surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My relative has got heart attack some days before. I have his reports. We need a second opinion about surgery whether he should go or not. His presenting complaint includes chest pain and high blood sugar. He is under diabetes medicine.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»