Q. What is the treatment followed for acyanotic heart disease in a six month baby?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My baby is six months old female. Recently, we did a 2D echo test, and the result came as acyanotic congenital heart disease. The report shows a small sized ostium secundum ASD with left to right shunt across the defect, approximately with a size of 8 mm. Why does it occur? What can I do now? Can medicine cure it? Does it require surgery? Please suggest.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

I have gone through your child's report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is an atrial septal defect. Have a follow up till the age of one and a half to two years. There is 80 to 90 % chance for the defect to get closed by itself. If not, when the child attains a weight of 11 kilograms, a decision can be made to close it either by a device or by open surgery (rarely required). There is no specific cause for this to occur and in some cases, it may be genetic.

|