Q. Kindly explain about the symptoms of autism.

Dr. Kuppili Pooja

I have been to a councellor before at my high school about symptoms of anxiety and she told my mother that I may have symptoms of an autism disorder. I do not really know what to look for symptom-wise but I have done a little research and so far this is what I experience (almost daily); being easily irritated, I do not like doing things spontaneously. I need to plan it out beforehand, I much prefer to work alone than in groups, I fidget a lot, I have always been overly emotional, being extremely sensitive to criticism, daydreaming/zoning out especially in school, and excessive talking. I am 18 and female, also sorry about the long list.

Dr. Kuppili Pooja

Psychiatry
#

Firstly please do not feel sorry about the long list, Please relax. This does not sound like autism to me. In autism, there are issues with social communication, verbal communication, repeated stereotypic behaviours which I do no’t see in your description. What it looks like is that you have issues in managing your emotions and possibly relationships.

I suggest you to maintain a journal where you document about the events which have been troubling you and then you can discuss with me about specific events so that psychotherapy can be started to help you.

| 

Are hiatal hernias related to autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a son who was diagnosed with autism at 2.5 years. He is now 7 years old. He is verbal now and has improved a lot with the help of therapies. How close is a hiatal hernia associated with autism? We have a history of hiatal hernias in my family. I also read that hiatal hernia can irr...  Read Full »

Why does my 9-year-old still have bedwetting problem?

Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 9 years old, has bedwetting problem. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

I am ready to help a sex chat agent by giving her some money. Is it right?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe mental problems and I cannot concentrate on anything. I am a civil engineer and working in a private firm. I am married and have one child. I am unable to take my wife with me because of financial issues. My wife got pregnant last year and since then I have stayed alone...  Read Full »