Q. Does my symptoms point towards autoimmune disease?

Published on May 10, 2018

Based on the following, do I have an autoimmune disease:

1. An overall feeling of sickness.
  2. Irregular heartbeat sometimes.
  3. Swollen and painful joints.
  4. Swollen legs, ankles, fingers, and toes.
  5. Headaches sometimes.
  6. Shortness of breath.
  7. Psoriasis arthritis.
  8. Visual problems, burning, itching, very dry, red eyes, and light sensitive.
  9. Feeling lightheaded.
  10. Behavior and mood changes, irritability.
  11. Chronic Dry mouth.
  12. Sinusitis.
  13. Unexplained weight loss.
  14. Night Sweats.

The test findings are as follows:

1. 14 mm left kidney stone found four months back (removed via urethroplasty) and 2 mm stone in right kidney.
  2. 11.5 mm left kidney stone found 20 days back.
  3. 4 cm gallstone calcified 4.0 x 3.1 x 3.0 found four months back.
  4. 8 mm calcified benign granuloma spleen and small hiatal hernia in CT scan four years back.
  5. Interosseous hemangioma in T11 vertebral CT scan 20 days back.
  6. C-reaction 2.56 this month.
  7. Vitamin B12 268 and erythrocyte sedimentation 26 this month.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post. Things which favor the diagnosis of autoimmune disease in your case are as follows:

1. Pain and swelling of joints.
  2. Puffiness of hands and feet.
  3. Dryness of mouth and eyes.
  4. Psoriasis.

You need to be investigated for UCTD (undifferentiated connective tissue disease), RA (rheumatoid arthritis), Sjogren's syndrome.

The tests you need to do are ANA (anti-nuclear antibody), dsDNA (double-stranded DNA), CBC (complete blood count), anti-Ro/La (for lupus erythematosus), RF (rheumatoid factor), anti-CCP (cyclic citrullinated peptide), urine examination. Once reports are available will help in confirming the diagnosis.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

What about sarcoidosis?

#

Sarcoidosis causes arthritis of ankle joint, dry cough, fever and sometimes erythema nodusum. The diagnosis is established by PFT (pulmonary function testing), X-ray chest, ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) level, and proper clinical examination. Sometimes CT chest is needed. None of your symptoms is suggestive of sarcoidosis. So I have not considered it in the differential diagnosis.

Did you look at the blood tests and CT scan with contrast, that I attached?

#

I have got your reports. There are two important findings. One is you have elevated CRP (C-reactive protein) and kidney stones. You have also had high TLC (total leukocyte count) in past possibly due to infection.

You have not been investigated for autoimmune diseases. In addition, you will need investigations for kidney stones which are three days daily serum calcium ALP (alkaline phosphatase) and serum phosphorus. Do 24-hour urinary calcium and serum PTH (parathyroid hormone). Renal tubular acidosis which is common also with autoimmune diseases can cause kidney stones so it may also be a symptom of autoimmune diseases.

I think you should do the above-mentioned tests and autoimmune disease tests mentioned in past answers because there is yet no diagnosis for your illness.

Is vitamin D deficiency one of the reasons for psoriasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from psoriasis for the past 24 years. I have tried a lot of ointments already. I heard one of the reasons is lack of vitamin D. Is it true? I am 54 years old now.  Read Full »

What are these bumps I have in my nose, upper lip and eyebrow?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bumps around my nose, upper lip area and eyebrow. I have been to two dermatologists and they did not able to provide a treatment to get rid of them. I have had the bumps since I was 16. No topical creams have ever been able to help. The bumps do not cause any pain. One bump along t...  Read Full »

How to treat my mother's vasculitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been suffering from vasculitis. She is facing difficulty in walking. She also has thyroid, diabetes and sarcoidosis. Currently, she is on Covance 50, Gabantin 100, Dilzem 30, Raricap, Sympta 20 and Modlip 10. For vasculitis, she was prescribed to have Wysolone 7.5 mg and Mmf...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now