Q. Kindly review my test reports and confirm if I have an infection or autoimmune disease?

Over the past year, I have had polyclonal B cell activation, raised IgM, and positive ANA (antinuclear antibodies) with systemic flu-like symptoms. However, doctors do not comment on anything because I have worsening symptoms. I experience fatigue, Raynaud's disease, skin rashes, petechiae, livedo reticularis, episcleritis, awful muscle aches, joint pain, awful headaches, fever, chills, hair loss, mouth ulcers, and light-headedness. Do I have an infection or an autoimmune disease? I have provided the details of my test results:

1. ANA test: Positive six times but negative twice.
  2. Complements: Normal.
  3. FBC (full blood count): Normal.
  4. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate): Normal.
  5. C-reactive protein levels: Normal.
  6. Liver and kidney function: Normal.
  7. Urinalysis test: Leukocytes are present.
  8. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for Lyme Disease: Positive.
  9. Western blot test: Negative.
  10. CT abdomen: Swollen spleen.
#

I went through your investigations (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and your symptoms suggest connective tissue disease. ANA (antinuclear antibody) test is positive, and you have oral ulcers, skin rash, and hair loss. All of them are suggestive of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Therefore, I suggest you take the tablet HCQS (Hydroxychloroquine) 200 mg in the morning and evening.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

Could ANA levels fluctuate? Also, do you think the ELISA Lyme is relevant, or is it a false positive because of the negative western blot test? I have had conflicting opinions about this. My neurologist said it was a false positive. Meanwhile, my rheumatologist could not comment on anything. If it is a false positive Lyme test, could that be caused by autoimmunity?

#

ENA (extractable nuclear antigen) test is a dynamic profile, so it will be positive if the disease is severe. Your ANA (antinuclear antibody) test is negative. Chronic Lyme disease can present anytime, and I think he should have treated you for that two weeks ago. I suggest you take the tablet Doxycycline for two weeks (consult a specialist doctor, talk with him or her, and take medications with their consent).

|