Q. What can be the diagnosis if granulomas are found on pancreas and lungs?

Dr. Pratik Patil
Published on Nov 02, 2017

My husband is 31 years old and has severe anxiety. He was told that granulomas were found on his pancreas and possibly his lungs. They believe it is due to some sort of an autoimmune disorder. Is there anything that can be done to prolong his life? Should we be worried?

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• An autoimmune disorder does not necessarily mean his life will be shortened.
  • There are numerous types of autoimmune diseases which are pathologically neutral and do not endanger life.
  • So, please see a rheumatologist and get him investigated.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The doctors believe it can be either lupus, rheumatoidarthritis, or sarcoidosis. I am really concerned with how many granulomas they found on his pancreas. What can be done? What is his survival rate?

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

• Sarcoidosis is a diagnosis of exclusion. A biopsy is needed to say if it is sarcoid.
  • Rheumatoid nodules can be a cause, but they are evident on joints rather than pancreas and lungs.
  • Lupus patients are very unstable and bloated as this disease damage the kidneys. Kindly let them investigate.
  • You can check serum ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) levels for sarcoid, rheumatoid factor, and serum anti-CCP for rheumatoid.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is vitamin D deficiency one of the reasons for psoriasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from psoriasis for the past 24 years. I have tried a lot of ointments already. I heard one of the reasons is lack of vitamin D. Is it true? I am 54 years old now.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Psoriasis is a T-cell mediated autoimmune disorder. What you have heard about lack of Vitamin D as its cause is a myth among patients because nowadays there is a new class of topical drugs available which are analogues of Vitamin D. These reduce the excessive cell proli...  Read Full

My full body feels numb when I wake up. What could be wrong?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic paresthesia. My full body feels like dead in sleep. When I wake up and reposition myself, it will take time for the blood to start flowing from my leg to upper body. I can feel it flowing and entering my kidneys, liver, etc. I had this issue for a long time but it was n...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to a sleep disorder or thyroid gland dysfunction. A connective tissue disorder (arthritis) cannot be excluded either. For this reason, I recommend performing a polysomnogra...  Read Full

My daughter has swollen lymph nodes and positive ANA. Please provide opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter, 15 years, has swollen lymph nodes. Biopsy done. It is non-malignant. No TB. But ANA has come positive. I would like to share the reports and take your opinion.  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a possibility of autoimmune disorder with underlying ANA and large lymph nodes. It is a good thing the malignancy is ruled out. But I would like to see the detailed biopsy report as well to be sure where we are heading. As for ANA positive, I would like to ...  Read Full