Q. What can be the diagnosis if granulomas are found on pancreas and lungs?

Dr. Pratik Patil

My husband is 31 years old and has severe anxiety. He was told that granulomas were found on his pancreas and possibly his lungs. They believe it is due to some sort of an autoimmune disorder. Is there anything that can be done to prolong his life? Should we be worried?

#

• An autoimmune disorder does not necessarily mean his life will be shortened.
  • There are numerous types of autoimmune diseases which are pathologically neutral and do not endanger life.
  • So, please see a rheumatologist and get him investigated.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The doctors believe it can be either lupus, rheumatoidarthritis, or sarcoidosis. I am really concerned with how many granulomas they found on his pancreas. What can be done? What is his survival rate?

#

• Sarcoidosis is a diagnosis of exclusion. A biopsy is needed to say if it is sarcoid.
  • Rheumatoid nodules can be a cause, but they are evident on joints rather than pancreas and lungs.
  • Lupus patients are very unstable and bloated as this disease damage the kidneys. Kindly let them investigate.
  • You can check serum ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) levels for sarcoid, rheumatoid factor, and serum anti-CCP for rheumatoid.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|