Q. Why is my SGOT and SGPT raised after chickenpox?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had chickenpox one month back and my SGOT is 178 and SGPT is 251 now. Elastography is 5.3 kPa, ANA is 13.74, IgG is 2145, serum ceruloplasmin is 24.90, hepatitis E antibody IgM is 0.09, bilirubin total is 0.40, bilirubin direct is 0.10 and no fever, urine white, no weakness, and the doctor could not conclude.

#

Persistent elevation of liver enzymes can be due to many different causes. Drugs, viruses, autoimmune and alcohol can cause this picture.

I would like to see the reports if possible. Also, I would like to know if you had done hepatitis B and hepatitis C testing. Also, what is the trend of SGOT/SGPT, is it downward or stable? What about alcohol intake? Are you currently on any medication?

Varicella (chickenpox) can in some cases cause hepatitis. Though it should have been recovered by now. If the trend is downward, I will not worry. If still persistent, then you will need further investigation.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Hepatitis B and C are negative. SGOT/SGPT was increasing 20 days before. Alcohol intake-nil. Currently, medications - Telma 40 and Metolar SR 25. Also, took antiviral medicine during chickenpox.

#

It would be helpful for me if I can see the reports as it can give some clue.

What about your current health? Any fever, cough, viral symptoms? Also would like to know about ultrasound report.

Atypical infections like influenza, typhus can cause mild transaminitis. But usually, this is transient and lasts for 7 to 10 days.

If all of this is negative we can consider possibilities of autoimmune or no alcoholic steatohepatitis, or some genetic causes. Doing LKM-1 (liver kidney microsomal type 1 antibody) and ASMA (anti-smooth muscle antibody) will help in deciding possibility for autoimmune hepatitis.

Also in your locality, celiac disease is one of the causes of transaminitis. If you have some symptoms of recurrent GI upset and low hemoglobin then a screening test for celiac disease should be considered.

If all comes negative, the possibility of genetic disease causing abnormal metabolism or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis remains. Confirmation of which require liver biopsy though.

No fever or cough. No viral symptoms. Ultrasound - normal. Hemoglobin- 12.9 mg/dl.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Widal for typhoid was positive in your last report. Though it should not cause transaminitis, still, I could not find viral marker reports. Also, I would like to know if samples were given empty stomach, as up to three times elevation can be seen with a fatty meal.

You might require further testing for hepatitis C/B depending on which tests were done previously. Doing a celiac serology will be helpful.

Then lastly, as I said, the final option is a liver biopsy. Though I would not go ahead with it currently as you are asymptomatic and rest of liver function tests are normal.

|