Q. Why is my kid suffering from cough for more than 10 days?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta
Published on Feb 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My baby has got cough for the last 10 days. He is fine during day time. But, at night while lying down, he is again coughing. It looks like a dry cough. We are now giving Levoline and Mucolite as suggested by our family physician. Still, he is not fully recovering. Please give some suggestions to cure it.

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

welcome to icliniq.com.

Cough while lying down is mostly due to cold (post nasal drip). As you have mentioned dry cough and if he does not have breathlessness, you can only give anti-allergic syrup along with honey. No need of giving Levoline and Mucolite. When cold will get over, his cough will subside.

For more information consult a pediatric allergy asthma specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pediatric-allergy-asthma-specialist

So, for temporary relief which anti-allergic syrup can we give? Is L-Montus fine?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

#

Yes, you can give. But, I would recommend syrup Wikoryl-AF (Chlorpheniramine maleate and Phenylephrine) 5 ml 3 times daily for five days or syrup Allercet (Cetirizine) 5 ml once at night time for five days. Also, one teaspoon honey at night. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

But, if he is breathless, you would require seeing your doctor for nebulization, etc. Honey works wonderfully and safe also.

How to cure chronic post-nasal drip and change of voice?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. I have been living with persistent allergies in my whole life. I have chronic post-nasal drip. I have lost my voice and get some sort of sore throat, whether that be laryngitis or strep throat. I had the same thing thrice in the past three months. This is especially dif...  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said, you have chronic post-nasal drip with a change of voice. According to me, it is chronic sinusitis with chronic laryngopharyngitis. The diagnosis of chronic sinusitis must be confirmed and I suggest you get a CT PNS (paranasal sinus) done and send me ...  Read Full

Paracetamol in Pregnancies

Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having sore throat problem and cause is acute pharyngitis case. You can give her Levocetirizine 5 mg OD for five days. For throat pain, Paracetamol 500 mg SOS can be prescribed. Also, give her vitamin C 500 mg tablet BD for five days. Drink more water. A...  Read Full

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full >>

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You mentioned that you have the fever. You can use Paracetamol. You can take it up to three times a day and can stop if your temperature comes down. Now, coming to Cetirizine, it is used for allergy, cold, etc. If you are having a flu type of fever, that is, fever with...  Read Full

Ask a Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist Now