Q. My 1-year-old son still passes stools several times a day, even after stopping milk. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

My son is one year old with a weight of seven kilograms. When he was seven months old, we started to give him solid foods and I gave him cow's milk for three to four days. After that, diarrhea got started and he passed stool twenty to twenty-five times in a day. So the doctor advised us to admit him in the hospital. After getting discharged, he passed stool three to four times a day. He does not had any weight gain. So I asked the doctor about it. He told me that he seems to be fine and he will gain weight after a month. There was no improvement in his weight.

I consulted another doctor and he told me that my son has lactose intolerance and told us to stop giving milk to him. So we stopped it for 15 to 20 days. It did not help him. The doctor advised me to avoid taking dairy products as the baby taking mother feed can have it. So I stopped taking dairy products and stopped giving mother feed for twenty days and it does not help my son. We did many tests like TTG, IGA, IGE, DGP, CBC, stool routine, urine culture, magnesium, calcium, zinc, phosphorous, and fecal elastase for my son. But everything was normal. Please suggest.

#

Your son is having toddler's diarrhea. It is a normal phenomenon that occurs in small children of this age group. As all the tests are normal, there is nothing to be worried about it. Diarrhea will settle down soon irrespective of the food taken. I advise you introduce one food at a time and continue it for a week before the introduction of new food. Milk can be given. Having a weight of seven kilograms is very less. Weight at this age should be triple of their birth weight. Please share the birth weight for calculating the expected current weight. You can give syrup Zincovit 2 ml (multivitamin) twice a day along with syrup Calcimax P 5 ml (Calcium carbonate with Vitamin D3) twice a day for three months for gaining weight. Please give adequate water along with medications. Monitor his weight for a month and revert soon.

|