Q. My 1-year-old son still passes stools several times a day, even after stopping milk. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

Hi doctor,

My son is one year old with a weight of seven kilograms. When he was seven months old, we started to give him solid foods and I gave him cow's milk for three to four days. After that, diarrhea got started and he passed stool twenty to twenty-five times in a day. So the doctor advised us to admit him in the hospital. After getting discharged, he passed stool three to four times a day. He does not had any weight gain. So I asked the doctor about it. He told me that he seems to be fine and he will gain weight after a month. There was no improvement in his weight.

I consulted another doctor and he told me that my son has lactose intolerance and told us to stop giving milk to him. So we stopped it for 15 to 20 days. It did not help him. The doctor advised me to avoid taking dairy products as the baby taking mother feed can have it. So I stopped taking dairy products and stopped giving mother feed for twenty days and it does not help my son. We did many tests like TTG, IGA, IGE, DGP, CBC, stool routine, urine culture, magnesium, calcium, zinc, phosphorous, and fecal elastase for my son. But everything was normal. Please suggest.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your son is having toddler's diarrhea. It is a normal phenomenon that occurs in small children of this age group. As all the tests are normal, there is nothing to be worried about it. Diarrhea will settle down soon irrespective of the food taken. I advise you introduce one food at a time and continue it for a week before the introduction of new food. Milk can be given. Having a weight of seven kilograms is very less. Weight at this age should be triple of their birth weight. Please share the birth weight for calculating the expected current weight. You can give syrup Zincovit 2 ml (multivitamin) twice a day along with syrup Calcimax P 5 ml (Calcium carbonate with Vitamin D3) twice a day for three months for gaining weight. Please give adequate water along with medications. Monitor his weight for a month and revert soon.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My 9-month-old daughter is having frequent loose motions. How to control it?

Treatment plan: - Provide your daughter with frequent sips of ORS throughout the day ...   Read full

My 20 months old daughter has diarrhea and vomiting, and has not peed since afternoon. Please help.

.. that this must be two different infections.  The reason why the child has not passed urine now is probably because of dehydration. It is advisable to give her 100 ml ORS (oral rehydration salts) with the passage of each loose stool for maintainin...   Read full

My 80-year-old grandmother is suffering from severe diarrhea for a week. Please help.

Prepare one sachet in 1 lit of water and give her 150 yo 200 ml every time she has loose bowel ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Why Do Some COVID-19 Patients Test Negative?
COVID-19 has resulted in a pandemic and has caused serious health crises worldwide. When we develop the symptoms of COV...  Read more»
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Reliving the Trauma
PTSD is a mental health condition where the person who undergoes an extremely stressful condition, develops disturbing t...  Read more»
Remdesivir - Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Drug Warnings, and Precautions
Remdesivir is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication. It is the only medicine approved for COVID-19 treatment. To know ab...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.