Q. My 80-year-old grandmother is suffering from severe diarrhea for a week. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

My 80-year-old grandmother is suffering from severe diarrhea for the past week. I have already taken a course of Ciproxin (Ciprofloxacin)250 mg along with Flagyl and Enflor sachet. Motions seem too little settled now, but she started vomiting twice daily since last night. I am really worried since her health condition is not good as she is totally bedridden due to a fracture of her legs. I am waiting for your kind advice as soon as possible.

#

I can understand you must be very concerned about her current condition. Well, you see, the ongoing motion can cause dehydration and salt loss via diarrhea. This can cause a kidney problem and can lead to vomiting. I strongly urge you to get some testing before giving any more medications to her. This approach is sound and reasonable to effectively manage her underlying cause. I suggest you some investigations and upload the reports once they are available. For replacement of water and salt in the body, I suggest you give ORS (oral rehydration salts) solution. Prepare one sachet in 1 liter of water and give her 150 to 200 ml every time she has loose bowel. I suggest no other treatment except ORS for now. If, after testing, she were to found any particular infection, then she will consider giving a specific antibiotic for that.

Acute gastro leading to acute kidney injury.

|