Q. My 9-month-old daughter is having frequent loose motions. How to control it?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2020

Hi Doctor, Kid age 9 months. weight not sure. Since Yesterday, she is having loose motion problem. Today also she is having frequent loose motion. ORS solution and paracetamol syrup given, but got little bit control again started.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Hello Welcome to icliniq - Loose motion ( diarrhoea) is common problem in young kids. It is very important to make sure that your daughter is well hydrated till she gets better . - It is very good that you are already giving ORS solution which needs to be given frequently. Loose stools can last for some days before getting better. It will help to clear the body of germs & toxins. I need to ask you a few more questions to guide you in the right direction - How many times /day does she have loose stools ? - is there any blood in stool ? - is she is any pain ? does she cry while having stools ? - is there any vomiting ? - is there any fever ? if there is no fever , there is no need to give paracetamol. - any signs of dehydration ( lips & tongue dry, not passing urine as usual) - Is her weight gain good and within normal range ? - is she otherwise her usual self or is she ill looking, crying & confused ? Treatment plan: - Provide your daughter with frequent sips of ORS throughout the day. For every loose stool she needs to be given 10 mls/kg of ORS. Assuming her weight to be 7-8 kgs, you should give 80 mls ORS for every loose stool. ORS needs to be continued till loose stools stop -You can also give tender coconut water if available. - Give bland non-spicy food like plain idli, rice for some days. -If she is still breast feeding, it is good to continue. - If available you can give Enterogermina oral suspension 2 mini ampoules a day for 3 days. You can mix with water and give her. - Zinsy syrup 5 mls once a day for a week - Most common reason for loose stools at this age is viral , so antibiotics are not needed. But if she has fever or bloody mucusy stools she will need to be examined . Otherwise, loose motion will settle in 4-5 days IMPORTANT Due to the Coronavirus lock down, visiting hospital/clinic may be difficult. But if your daughter shows any of the following signs she needs to be taken to the nearest hospital/clinic to be examined by a paediatrician. - looks sick - not drinking ORS - lips and tongue getting dry - not passing urine even once in 6 hrs - looks dull and crying excessively - blood in stoll If you have any further concerns, you can contact us again for further advice Take care

| 
Thank You Doctor,
Below the answers for the questions.

- How many times /day does she have loose stools ? 7 Times

- is there any blood in stool ? - Yesterday was there lightly, but not Today

- is she is any pain ? does she cry while having stools ? Yes, was crying, Today not much, but she feels some pain.

- is there any vomiting ? No

- is there any fever ? if there is no fever , there is no need to give paracetamol. - Yes Fever was there, Today no fever, so stopped.

- any signs of dehydration ( lips & tongue dry, not passing urine as usual) - No, looks normal

- Is her weight gain good and within normal range ? - Yes, normal weight

- is she otherwise her usual self or is she ill looking, crying & confused ? - Some time crying today

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
# Hello
Its helpful to know the additional details.
It does not appear that your child is dehydrated which is good.
Continue following the advice given earlier.
ORS is the most important medicine to be continued

In case the child does not get well or becomes dehydrated ( as described earlier ), take her to the nearest Paediatrician hospital or clinic. Take care

| 

Why am I having an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 36 years old, male, 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a question about total bilirubin. I had it checked four weeks ago and it was at .41 mg/dl and one month later it jumped to .82 mg/dl. My alkaline phosphatase is at 1.173 ukat/l and four weeks ago was at 1.003 ukat/l. The doctor was not conc...  Read Full »

I have abdominal pain with watery stool. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have the following symptoms. Abdominal pain, starting from yesterday night. Had instant noodle and two eggs for the meal last night. At first, it was severe pain and strange sound in the intestine and could not poop. And then I had diarrhea and poop water. Hardly slept last night du...  Read Full »

Please advise non-surgical treatment for lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scolio...  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now