Q. Is it advisable to give Paracetamol with Dolowin Plus to a child for fever?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Nov 26, 2018

My daughter has a fever for the last two days. She has tonsils. The doctor has given half Dolowin Plus twice a day and Ziprax 100 DT twice a day. Yesterday she had 103 fever. Fever does not come down by Dolowin Plus. So I gave Meftal P 100 mg. But in the night and the day she did not have fever. But now again she has 102.4 fever. Can I give PCM with Dolowin Plus?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concerns. Dolowin plus has already got Paracetamol in it so there is no need to give Paracetamol with Dolowin plus. You can give Dolowin plus every four hourly if fever persists. If there is a fever in spite of giving it, then cold sponging of the child should be done. If fever persists then Widal test and malaria antigen test and complete blood count should be done.

| 

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Please advice on when and at what dosage Meftal-P must be given for fever.

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter (3 years 11 months old) has a fever for the last five days. My doctor prescribed Calpol syrup for normal fever. If the fever is more, then he told to give Meftal-P for my daughter. When can I give this Meftal-P? Before food or after food? How much mL I have to give and let ...  Read Full »

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »