Q. Is Meftal advisable for higher fever in a baby?

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Published on Apr 04, 2019

My baby is having a fever. Morning around 8 it was 100. I have given him Crocin. Around 12.30 his temp was 101.3. So I have given him Meftal P. Now (5.30) again the temperature is 100.3. What should I give him now? Crocin or Meftal? What should be the time gap?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I got your concern. Initially, it looks like a viral fever. Let us wait and watch for the pattern of fever. Yes, for fever, if less than 100 F, do just tap water sponging all over the body. If 100 F to 102 F, give Paracetamol as and when the fever comes with a gap of six hours between two doses. If fever is more than 102 F then give Meftal with a gap of eight hours between two doses of Meftal. Avoid Meftal as much as possible. Give more food and more liquid. If he is dull, not taking orally, then go to the doctor.

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

My 10 month old son has a fever one and a half hours after giving Meftal-P. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My 10 month old son had a fever of 101.3 one and a half hours after giving him 5 ml of Meftal P.  Read Full »

My baby has fever even after giving Paracetamol. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,My four month old baby weighs 7 kg. He has a 100-degree fever since today noon. I had given 4 ml of 125 g Paracetamol syrup. But the temperature is still at 100.   Read Full »