Q. What is the exact dose of Meftal-P for a 22 months old?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter got fever since last night. It has been 24 hours and her fever is between 102 and 103.5 degree Fahrenheit. She has no other symptom till now. She is 22 months old. We are giving her Fevago drops. What can we do for her?

#

This could be a viral fever, so continue giving Paracetamol that is Fevago every 4 to 5 hours irrespective of fever.

If fever is above 101 degree Fahrenheit, then start tepid sponging and give Meftal-P syrup (Mefenamic acid) instead of Paracetamol.

If the fever goes beyond three days, then we can evaluate or investigate for causes of fever other than viral by means of a blood test and urine test.

Generally, viral fever may last for three to five days and no need of antibiotic at this moment.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Her fever was 103 degree Fahrenheit in armpit thermometer. Does it mean it is 104? Secondly, I gave her Fevago 1 hour before. Can I give her Meftal-P syrup now?

#

Oral temperature is better. Do not worry just do tepid sponging of whole body and give a dose of Meftal-P.

Fever shall be down within minutes and later can continue Paracetamol for every 4 to 5 hours.

My daughter is 22 months old and her weight is 10.4 kg. Now, what exactly should be the dose of Meftal-P?

#

Paracetamol dose would be 100 mg to 150 mg per dose that is if using drops 1 mL to 1.5 mL per dose and if using 125 mg syrup, then 5 mL per dose would be fine.

Regarding Meftal-P syrup, it would be 100 to 150 mg per dose. So, Meftal-P syrup 5 mL per dose would be fine.

This should be given at interval of 8 hours and to be used only if the fever is above 101 degree Fahrenheit.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My doctor replied to my message now and he told me to give Ibugesic plus 5 mL. Is it same as Meftal-P? Which is better? Can I give her right away?

#

Both have the same efficacy and both are used for high fevers.

Meftal is safer compared to Ibugesic (Ibuprofen) in children.

My baby is taking 40 to 38 breaths per minute. Is it normal?

#

• Yes, babies have higher rates of breathing than adults, which will gradually reduce to adult level as they grow old.
  • Generally, in conditions like fever, cough and cold, it further increases and so no need to panic.

I gave my daughter Ibugesic plus and her fever came down. She was well for the past two days. But, today again it is 101 degree Fahrenheit and I am giving her Fevago. Should I get her any blood test? Also, she is only 10.4 kg in 22 months of age. How can I increase her weight?

#

• Fever tends to recur for four to five days and so need not worry.
  • Keep giving her Fevago and Ibugesic depending on the severity of fever and no blood test required presently.
  • Once she completes 2 years, you can start her supplements like health drink with milk. Also, give her diet rich in calories and add ghee to her food. Need not worry about weight as long as she is active.

|