Q. My baby has fever even after giving Paracetamol. Please advise.

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Published on Jul 13, 2017

My four month old baby weighs 7 kg. He has a 100-degree fever since today noon. I had given 4 ml of 125 g Paracetamol syrup. But the temperature is still at 100. 

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• You can continue giving the 4 ml Paracetamol syrup, every four to six hours if there is a fever. It will take an hour or two for the temperature to normalize. If fever is nearing 102 F, give Ibuprofen 70 mg.
  • It is most likely to be a viral fever. So, if the baby is active, you can wait for two days. If you notice any new symptoms, or if the fever persists beyond 48 hours, then consult his pediatrician.
  • Also, if the temperature is more than 101 F on more than two different spikes, the baby will need a detailed physical check up.

In the follow-up query, please tell me more about his feeding, activities, vomiting and if his urine and stools are normal.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

The baby is quite active. He is giggling and crying as he does normally. He is urinating normally and the stools appear normal as well. He has some chest congestion and blocked nose, for which I gave him Sinarest nasal drops.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• It seems like a viral fever, which usually takes three to five days to resolve.
  • Continue the Paracetamol and Sinarest nasal drops (combination of Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine, and Pseudoephedrine) and observe for 48 hours. If the fever persists or worsens, consult his pediatrician.

Can we use Tramadol and Acetaminophen for viral fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother, who is 27 years old, is having viral fever and the temperature was 103 degrees Fahrenheit since yesterday night. He has been complaining of slight fever for the past five days. We had blood tests and the urine test done yesterday and both were normal. We are using the followi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. There is no role of Tramadol and Acetaminophen in treating fever. This may help just in body pain if associated. I suppose that he should continue with Paracetamol 650 mg 6 to 8 hourly along with Amoxicillin for fever. For chest con...  Read Full

Is cough with chest congestion something to worry about?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom had cough and cold which continued for a week. We conducted X-ray which indicated too much cough congestion in the chest and TLC count was 18K. One day, due to too much cough she vomited, and she was injected with a medicine to stop it and it worked. Next day, we went abroad for ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not a viral infection but a bacterial infection as her TLC has increased. Also, diabetic patients are prone to such infection. Treatment is antibiotics, which she has been started by her physician. In most patients, this resolves with a week. Continue other me...  Read Full

Suffering from cold, chest congestion and sore throat. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old male who is overweight. Other than being overweight, I am in relatively good health.  I am getting regular health checkup for every six months. Currently, I am taking Triamterene and HCTZ and Simvastatin 20 mg. Recently, I had cold, some respiratory discomfort, c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your message. The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of a possible upper respiratory tract infection. I would suggest you to get an x-ray paranasal (PNS) waters' view and x-ray chest PA (posteroanterior) view. Also, get a complete blood count (CBC). Me...  Read Full