Q. Why does my newborn baby spit milk after every feeding though we make him burp?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

I have a baby boy via normal delivery. My ten days old infant weighs 3.1 kg, and height is 55 cm. My baby is on formula milk. The name is S26 Gold. Everytime after feeding, he either spit or vomit the milk. We burp him always after every feeding and let him stay upright for 30 minutes before putting him down. But still, even after a few hours he will still spit or vomit the milk.

#

Regurgitation of feeds is a very common problem. But if the baby is bringing our entire feeds, every time after feeding, then, the baby will not gain weight and height properly.

The height and weight seem to be normal at present. I presume it was the same on the day of birth as well. If birth weight was more, then the current situation needs further evaluation.

Many times, it is because of the formula feed itself, which you might have to change (I am not familiar with the contents of S26 Gold). Tell me, why is not the baby on breastfeeds? At 10 days, there has to be some really strong reason for not breastfeeding. If there is such a reason, then the circumstances cannot change much. If not, you have to start breast feeding as soon as possible. There is no medicine in the world that is better for the baby than the baby’s mother feeds.

|