Q. Could the lower back pain I am experiencing be due to periods?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2019

I am experiencing lower back pain, and it hurts whenever I stand up. I am also suffering from abdominal pain. I do not know if my period is the one that caused it.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Sometimes these symptoms can be due to periods in young females, so your gynecologist should be able to give you an insight into this. As far as lower back pain is concerned, if it has been present for a long time even in the absence of your periods time, then it could be due to a spinal issue. If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like radiating leg pain, neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc., then you can start with following recommendations for an initial period of two to three weeks.

1. To maintain a proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.

2. If pain is more, then you can take a short course of anti-inflammatory medication like tab Ibuprofen or Paracetamol or one which suits you.

3. Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.

4. Adequate calcium and vitamin d intake if levels are low in the body.

5. Ice packs can be applied if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.

6. Analgesic spray for a local application can be used and is readily available.

7. Avoid lifting heavyweight and acute forward bending in mornings etc.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks how you respond to this conservative management protocol. If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like, dynamic x-rays of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance.

|