Q. Could the lower back pain I am experiencing be due to periods?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am experiencing lower back pain, and it hurts whenever I stand up. I am also suffering from abdominal pain. I do not know if my period is the one that caused it.

Do you have a question on Back Pain or Periods?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

MBBS., DNB (ORTHOPAEDICS)., DIP SICOT ( BELGIUM)., MNAMS., SPINE FELLOWSHIP,AARHUS UNIVERSITY,DENMARK
Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery

Sometimes these symptoms can be due to periods in young females, so your gynecologist should be able to give you an insight into this. As far as lower back pain is concerned, if it has been present for a long time even in the absence of your periods time, then it could be due to a spinal issue. If you have localized back pain with no other symptoms like radiating leg pain, neurological symptoms like numbness, weakness, paresthesias, etc., then you can start with following recommendations for an initial period of two to three weeks.

1. To maintain a proper posture of your back while working and sleeping.

2. If pain is more, then you can take a short course of anti-inflammatory medication like tab Ibuprofen or Paracetamol or one which suits you.

3. Physical therapy initially under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist and then to continue at home.

4. Adequate calcium and vitamin d intake if levels are low in the body.

5. Ice packs can be applied if your pain is acute, then hot fomentation can be done at home.

6. Analgesic spray for a local application can be used and is readily available.

7. Avoid lifting heavyweight and acute forward bending in mornings etc.

We will observe you for the next two to three weeks how you respond to this conservative management protocol. If you are not feeling better, then we will have to get some investigations like, dynamic x-rays of lower back and few blood tests for evaluation. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance.

My periods is delayed by nearly two weeks. What do you recommend doing?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. Last month, my period came 13 days late and this month it is 15 days over the date. My period lasts two days mostly which I think is not really healthy. What do you recommend doing?  Read Full >>
Dr. Umamaheshwari Mrutyunjaya Nilange

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your age, your BMI (body mass index) is high. It means you are overweight. Sometimes, due to obesity, you have hormonal imbalance leading to irregular periods and decreased flow. You need to get your thyroid profile and serum prolactin checked and you need ...  Read Full

I have back pain due to sitting in front of computer for long hours. Kindly advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male. I was sitting in front of the computer for more than 10 hours per day for past one month. I have mild pain in my lower back, not a constant pain. the pain either left side or right side but the right side is more time the pain always shift its position. and whil...  Read Full >>
Dr. Jayaprakash Reddy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your complaints, I will suggest you few things. Do not sit in front of the computer for a long time not more than one hour after that at least walk for 2 to 3 minutes and you can get...  Read Full

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?
Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tethered cord is a result of fibrosis and inflammation. Your symptoms of back pain and weakened bowel and bladder movements could be explained with the tethered cord.  ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now