Q. I get radiating back pain for the past few days with a history of fall. Please advise.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Almost two years back, I had slipped and fallen on my back and had spent a few months suffering from back pain. There was not any bone crack or fracture, so I was prescribed only a belt for support. Subsequently, over the last few days, after a severe cough (which is now relieved), I have radiating pain up to thighs during the entire day and sometimes at night, affecting my sleep.

My recent MRI LS Spine report states the following:-

(1) Sacralization of L5 vertebra.

(2) Old partial collapse D12 vertebral body with fatty marrow replacement and mild posterior subluxation, indenting thecal sac causing effacement of ventral subarachnoid space. Spinal cord appears normal.

(3) Mild diffuse disc bulge at L-3-4 and L-4-5 levels, indenting thecal sac with no obvious nerve root compression.

I have started wearing a support belt on my shoulders again, but still, there is mild to severe pain throughout the day. I am not taking any pain relief medications as of now but only a few vitamins. I am also taking a few Ayurvedic medicines for my prediabetic stage.

Please advise, and if required, I can forward you the entire MRI report.

#

What you do, and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine?

I am a housewife. I do walking for half an hour daily, nothing else.

#

Well, there are two things in your case responsible for your problem.

1. Osteoporosis- weakness of bones. Two years back, when you fell, there was a fracture of D12 vertebrae, which implies that your bones are weak, which is expected after menopause in females. So we need to treat it.

2. Nerve irritation. For that, first, we will try conservative management. Most people get relief with conservative management.

Both of these conditions need to be treated together. For osteoporosis, get a DEXA scan done. Start capsule Pregabalin 75mg at night daily. Walk daily for 45 minutes at a stretch.

| 

Related Video

Ayurvedic Approach to Osteoporosis

Article Overview: The bones become weak and brittle in osteoporosis, that even minor injury leads to fracture. Anyone can develop osteoporosis but it is very common among women over the age of 50 years. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Osteoporosis is a degenerative bone disorder. In this disorder, the density of bone is decreased leading to bone weakness and fractures. What Causes Osteoporosis? Low levels of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D. In menopausal woman, due to lack of oestrogen osteoporosis occurs. A...  Read Article

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

I have spine and neck pain with occasional chest burn. Why do I get this?

Query: Hello doctor, My main issue is spine pain accompanied with neck pain (disc is dislocated). It gets worse when standing up from a sitting position. When I get up from floor, I feel lightheaded. Sometimes it is that intense that I faint for a few seconds. While sitting in a car, I lose vision sometim...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now