Q. How to Cure Candidial Balanitis?

Dr. Meha Malhotra
Published on Nov 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2019

I am a 44 year old male. I have itching on the head of the penis and the foreskin. It started about 3-4 days back. But now it seems that I have symptoms of balanitis. I found white substance under the foreskin. There is also some minor tear which make it difficult for me to move my foreskin. I have applied Candid cream for that. Please guide me.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

There is a difference between Candid cream and Candid B cream.

This seems like you are having candidial balanitis. Please apply Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) twice daily for a week.

Wear loose cotton underpants. Do not wash your foreskin everytime you use the bathroom. Keep the area dry.

Also get a fasting blood sugar level done.

After a week you can take a follow up consult with a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Hi doctor, Thanks a lot for your response. I shall follow your treatment. However, I have few follow-up questions and information to add. I found the white substance on the penis forehead first, which was accompanied by itching. A day or two later the cuts or tears appeared on my foreskin. Do I apply the cream on the foreskin or penis head? When I tried pulling my foreskin back, the cuts and tears on the foreskin seem to have increased and it was very painful. My fasting blood sugar was little high around 130 a couple of months back when checked at home on blood sugar monitor machine. But, I will reconfirm the same to you after completion of Onabet treatment after a week. Please advise in the meantime if there would be any change in the treatment due to above information.

Dr. Meha Malhotra

#

Thank you for providing the detailed history.

• There is no need to retract the foreskin if it is painful. Apply it on the foreskin and if possible apply a bit on the head with the tip of your little finger.
  • Secondly, 130 fasting blood sugar is high. Get a fasting and postprandial blood sugar level done with HbA1C level.
  • If they are high then only blood sugar control will help you. Only topical medications will not help in this case.

Generally white residue precedes the cuts. Continue Onabet cream twice a day.

Till then get the blood reports done and follow up with them.

Revert back after a week for follow up to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Here are the details of my blood sugar report; fasting 117, post lunch 153 and HbA1c 7.3. Onabet cream has given me a lot of relief. It has reduced the cuts or tears on the foreskin a lot. Itching too has more or less gone and white substance has reduced significantly. I tried to move the foreskin back today but it has opened up few cuts which had healed or were healing. I have started controlling my diet now and not consuming sugar and carbohydrates. I also have started consuming methi seeds in the morning to reduce blood sugar levels. Is that fine?

Dr. Meha Malhotra

#

It is good to hear that you got the tests done. But, unfortunately all of them are in the diabetic range especially HbA1C.

• My advise is that you should continue dietary control and also consult a specialist as HbA1C shows three month sugar control and it should be around 6.5 ideally. This means your sugar levels have been high for sometime now.
  • Please do not try to retract the foreskin.

Continue applying Onabet cream for another ten days.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Why does the inside of my penis itch?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having itching inside my penis since three days. When I urinate, the itching gets increased and after urination, it subsides. There is no rash. Please advice.  Read Full »

I have itching and burning sensation on penis after sex. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor,Twelve days ago I had protected sex with a girl I did not know after a night out. I showered that night maybe an hour afterward and used a perfume smelling body wash or shampoo. Whether it was in my head or actual, the next day I noticed an itchiness or rather a need to readjust my penis w...  Read Full »

Is there any home remedy to treat balanitis and swollen painful vein?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my penis. At first, a month ago I thought I had balanitis and so I used Terrarisil balanitis cream but I have only used a few times and now I see that one of my veins got swollen and it feels like it aches a little. I do not know what to do with both the...  Read Full »