Q. HbA1c of 8. 8 in a 45-year-old male. What can be the treatment?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Last reviewed at: Jul 27, 2018

I am a 45-year-old male. I am 6 feet tall and I weigh 91 kg. I had taken excess BCAA supplement powder to enhance my gym performance and then stopped going to the gym for two Months but continued taking the BCAA powder.

I feel bloated all the time after food intake and have high blood sugar, both fasting blood sugar and postprandial. I even felt breathless with an enlarged tummy hanging down.

In the past, digestive Carmozyme helped a little. My HbA1c taken yesterday was 8.8. Is there a medication that I can take to reverse my insulin resistivity or am I permanently diabetic?

I have never gone above normal blood sugar levels in my life. This is sudden and very high and I am very demoralized. Kindly advise.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have diabetes and you must definitely take treatment for it.
  • I suggest that you start with the tablet Metformin 500 mg thrice a day and then repeat your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) after three months. This drug helps with insulin resistance. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.
  • I assume that you have no other associated medical conditions.
  • Bloating after meals signify that your intestines are probably sensitive to something that you are taking regularly or newly.
  • I suggest that you go gluten free as well.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Since I have incidental diabetic symptoms induced by excess BCAA (branched chain amino acids) supplements, is it possible to reverse it to a nondiabetic condition as I was a few months back?

My sister is a doctor and she suggests I reduce my sugar. But I would like to know if I can recover from my induced insulin resistance permanently?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Yes, why not? Although it could be a very optimistic approach.

Be hopeful and try your very best.

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Doctor Now