HbA1c of 8. 8 in a 45-year-old male. What can be the treatment?

Q. HbA1c of 8. 8 in a 45-year-old male. What can be the treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 05, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 45-year-old male. I am 6 feet tall and I weigh 200.6 lbs. I had taken excess BCAA supplement powder to enhance my gym performance and then stopped going to the gym for two months but continued taking the BCAA powder. I feel bloated all the time after food intake and have high blood sugar, both fasting blood sugar and postprandial. I even felt breathless with an enlarged tummy hanging down. In the past, digestive Carmozyme helped a little. My HbA1c taken yesterday was 8.8. Is there a medication that I can take to reverse my insulin resistivity or am I permanently diabetic? I have never gone above normal blood sugar levels in my life. This is sudden and very high and I am very demoralized. Kindly advise.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have diabetes and you must definitely take treatment for it. I suggest that you start with the tablet Metformin 500 mg thrice a day and then repeat your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) after three months. This drug helps with insulin resistance. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines. You need to take a low fat and low carbohydrate diet. Exercise, like walking briskly and running, will improve your insulin sensitivity. We will review again in three months. I assume that you have no other associated medical conditions. Bloating after meals signify that your intestines are probably sensitive to something that you are taking regularly or newly. I suggest that you go gluten free as well.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

Thank you doctor,

Since I have incidental diabetic symptoms induced by excess BCAA (branched chain amino acids) supplements, is it possible to reverse it to a nondiabetic condition as I was a few months back? My sister is a doctor and she suggests I reduce my sugar. But I would like to know if I can recover from my induced insulin resistance permanently?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, why not? Although it could be a very optimistic approach.

Be hopeful and try your very best.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to manage diabetes?

.. report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is found that your father has overt diabetes and should be managed efficiently to prevent the complications. There are two ways of diabetes management: Lifestyle changes - It includes diabe   Read full

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

.. you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exerc   Read full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body ... Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus:   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.