Q. I have a swelling on penis that does not hurt. What is it?

Published on Feb 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 22, 2019

I have problem with penis head and shaft. Meatus seems to be red and puffy and itches at times. Also the penis head seems to be very irritated. There is a ring puffed kind of swelling that goes around my shaft. It does not hurt but it came up around 3-5 weeks ago. Please help.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity) there is ample evidence of balanitis (inflammation of prepuce) and urethritis (inflammation of urethra).

Since both condition can be caused by multiple bacteriological agents there is a need to get antibiotic treatment. The best thing is to get local swab and send it to microbiology for culture and sensitivity. In case that is not possible get empirical antibiotic treatment.

1. In countries where this is an endemic problem, we use Azithromycin 1 g for three days to majority of patients. You can ask prescription for same from your primary care physician.
  2. I must assure you that this is treatable condition and there is nothing to worry.
  3. In addition get same treatment for your sexual partner, if any, as the problem tend to gets transmitted during sex.

I have red and white boils on the head of penis. Please suggest good medicines.

Query: Hello doctor,I have small boils (red and white) on the head of my penis and also inside the skin and itching also. I regularly clean with warm water and sometimes, put some vaseline gel but nowadays, it increases very much. I think it is a fungal infection. Please suggest a good medicine and precaut...  Read Full »

What is this mild swelling and discoloration on my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have discoloration on my penis. I do not have any pain. It is just a dark red and seems like peeling. It has been there since two days and there is mild swelling in that area. I have got this for the first time. Please help.  Read Full »

Why do I have a drop of blood discharging from my penis?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a drop of blood discharging from my penis almost daily, but not while urinating. I did the urine test, and nothing abnormal was found in the reports except that the urine was acidic. It is happening for the past two weeks. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now