Balanoposthitis or balanitis is a term used to describe the inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis. It can occur in case of poor maintenance of personal hygiene, infection, immunocompromised states or over cleaning with drying soaps.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can rashes on the penis be penile cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, For the second time I have suffered a rash on the glans of my penis in this year. This time the rash was more intense in color. There has never been any itching or pain associated with this rash. But, just a scary looking color. I was tested for all STD and STI infections before a mont...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to First of all, do not worry as you do not have penile cancer. This is a recurrent attack of balanoposthitis. You should get tested for diabetes. For tight foreskin, you need circumcision. Also, if you are using a condom or any jelly during intercourse, then that might be ...  Read Full »

Are fluid-filled red spots on the penile head bacterial or fungal infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. Five years ago, I was treated for balanitis. But again, there are some red spots and lesions fluid-filled in it appears on the head of my penis. So I contacted to the same dermatologist and he suggested me to use Ketoconazole 2% cream twice daily and Fluconazole tab...  Read Full »

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, it is balanoposthitis. Is there itching, burning, tingling sensation, pain, irritation? Contact with irritant? Allergic reaction to irritant soap?Sexually active? Any infection in past herpes, candidal balanitis? Any recurrent episode? Do you have burning mic...  Read Full »

I have inflammation from foreskin to tip of penis. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I been having some mild burning when I pee since middle of last month. Later, the inflammation spread to my foreskin and tip of my penis. Now I have pain on the tip of my penis. I tried Clotrimazole 1 week did nothing then after 2 weeks I tried 0.5 % Hydrocortisone, it did not work we...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From history that you gave, it seems like candidal balanitis only. But to make confirmative diagnosis, I need to ask you a few questions. Do you have any discharge from penis opening? If yes, color of discharge yellow or white? Even if it is a very mild discharge. A...  Read Full »

How to cure allergy in head of penis and inner skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having some allergy on the head of my penis and inner skin of my penis. My inner skin of penis is always red and I have this problem for a long time. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to From your description, it can be balanitis but to rule out herpes genitalis please send a good quality image and revert back. Is it associated with itching or burning sensation or pain? If sexually active does your partner suffer from a similar complaint?  Read Full »

I have swelling in foreskin with itching and pain during sex. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old, student. Recently, during a sexual intercourse I felt an acute pain after which I suddenly stopped. The next day I had swelling all around my penis. It seems like the foreskin has swollen. I was a bit worried so I visited the GP here who advised me to take anti-bact...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The foreskin of your glans is edematous and little inflammatory (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition may be due to vigorous sexual activity against the dry vagina or may be due to local infection. Possibility of balanoposthitis. So you may...  Read Full »

I have inflamed EUM, balanoposthitis, and mild discharge. What should I do now?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the penis, yesterday I went with a urologist, and he did a physical examination in the external genitalia after which he found inflamed EUM, the frenulum is short and tight, balanoposthitis, and mild discharge. Please suggest what I should do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to From your description, it is clear that you have inflammation of foreskin and glans penis, which is called balanoposthitis in medical parlance. Usually, this does not occur in normal persons, if one can keep the undersurface of foreskin clean once a day. However, cle...  Read Full »

Why are there itching and burning sensation on my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having itching and burning problem on my penis. I cannot lift my foreskin upward. It is painful to upward the foreskin. I think I have acquired a fungal infection. My wife was under treatment of heavy menstruation periods for her menopause phase. She had passed through heavy bloo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Can you forward a few pictures of the affected area, if possible? Your concern may be balanoposthitis most probably. Continue Fluconazole 150 mg. Have them weekly once after dinner for four consecutive weeks and for your spouse advise her Fluconazole 150 mg two tablets ...  Read Full »

I have itchy white spot on my penis head with a rough skin after erection. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have these itchy white spot on my penis head and also a rough skin after erected. The white spot will be better after applying Clotrimazole ointment, but I can still see some bumps under the skin.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your concern is balanoposthitis. It is a candidal fungal infection which causes secondary irritation and redness. Start using Lulifin cream (Luliconazole) once daily bedtime for 30 consecutive days. Apply Efficort (Hydrocortisone) 0.127 % cream once daily during daytime...  Read Full »

Why are there rash and white layers on the head of the penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old male. I have a rash and a white layer formation on my head of the penis. It is itchy. I always have this problem for at least a month. I need a permanent solution to get cured. Is this related to any HIV issue? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition is called Balanoposthitis, in which there is inflammation of glans (penis tip) and foreskin. Most often, it is caused by candida (fungus). It is contagious, and it spread...  Read Full »

I have a tear or cut in the foreskin. What should I apply?

Query: Hi doctor, I think I have balanitis. I do have a tight foreskin. I usually have a tear or cut in the foreskin. If I apply Tenovate GN, it goes, but comes again. It is slightly less if I apply a moisturizing cream. I am a diabetic (with medicine PP is 160 to 180). I also had HSV type 1 on genitals al...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Kindly send an image and revert back. Without clinical photographs, it is difficult to comment. In case of a diabetic individual, balanoposthitis is very common. You should not apply Tenovate GN cream (Clobetasol and Neomycin) as it contains a steroid and long-term...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.