Q. Is endoscopic bariatric surgery safe?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema
Published on Mar 19, 2019

I am considering an endoscopic bariatric stomach surgery procedure for weight loss. It is called the accordion procedure, which has only been around for about five years. Do you think such a method done on a stomach is safe long-term? Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have gone through your query.

The Accordion procedure is an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. It has been around for some time; a few case series and related data are available. It is useful in helping in weight reduction up to 17-23 % weight loss in six months with not many serious long term adverse effects. A few people might end up gaining weight after 4-5 years (which is comparable to laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy).

The safety data shows it is safer than laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in the short term. If you have further concerns, please do get in touch.

Is it safe for long term?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I hope you would have already been appraised about how the procedure works in weight reduction.

It is oversewing the stomach mucosa to each other thus narrowing the lumen of the stomach and hence, restricting the ability to consume more significant portions of food leading to weight loss. It is relatively safe. But like all procedures in medical practice, it has its risk profile in the long term, of developing GERD (reflux symptoms), decreased acid production, early satiety, none of which are severe.

As everything in medical practice it is the balance of benefit versus risk, and in your case probably the benefit outweighs the risk (though I am not sure, what exactly was the reason why you have advised this procedure for weight reduction).

What is the alternative treatment for ICD?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 59 years old. Eight years back he had heart attack and the next year he underwent CABG. Presently, he is feeling uncomfortable and got an angiogram and cardiac PET/CT imaging done. It stated that he has severe LV dysfunction of more than 30 percentage. He also has severe c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These procedures in modern science are done according to guidelines. So according to ACC (American College of Cardiology) or AHA (American Heart Association) guidelines indications for ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator) placement are under two broad categories ...  Read Full

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach. I personal...  Read Full

I have weight loss, increased hunger, thirst and frequent urination. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pratik Patil
General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. All of these symptoms, along with weight loss and dry skin point to diabetes. Polyphagia refers to excessive hunger or increased appetite. Polydipsia refers to increased thirst. Polyuria refers to increased urination. .I suggest you screen yourself for blood sug...  Read Full