Q. Is endoscopic bariatric surgery safe?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I am considering an endoscopic bariatric stomach surgery procedure for weight loss. It is called the accordion procedure, which has only been around for about five years. Do you think such a method done on a stomach is safe long-term? Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

#

I have gone through your query.

The Accordion procedure is an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. It has been around for some time; a few case series and related data are available. It is useful in helping in weight reduction up to 17-23 % weight loss in six months with not many serious long term adverse effects. A few people might end up gaining weight after 4-5 years (which is comparable to laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy).

The safety data shows it is safer than laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in the short term. If you have further concerns, please do get in touch.

Is it safe for long term?

#

I hope you would have already been appraised about how the procedure works in weight reduction.

It is oversewing the stomach mucosa to each other thus narrowing the lumen of the stomach and hence, restricting the ability to consume more significant portions of food leading to weight loss. It is relatively safe. But like all procedures in medical practice, it has its risk profile in the long term, of developing GERD (reflux symptoms), decreased acid production, early satiety, none of which are severe.

As everything in medical practice it is the balance of benefit versus risk, and in your case probably the benefit outweighs the risk (though I am not sure, what exactly was the reason why you have advised this procedure for weight reduction).

|