Q. I felt an itch and got a pink bump at the bottom of my vaginal opening. Can you tell me what it is?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Three days ago, I felt an itch, so I used a boric suppository, but it flared up. The next day I ended up feeling tender, so I checked myself out, and that is when I saw the bump. Currently, I have a pink bump at the bottom of my vaginal opening right above the perineum. Three months ago, I saw a smaller spot in the same place, but I did not stress about it too much. I was planning to watch and observe to see if it would go away, but it looks like it just got a little bigger. The only vaginal problem that I was suffering from is yeast infections. In the past, I have used Diflucan for yeast infection and vaginal cream. Not sure if it is a cyst; it is close to the size of a small candy. It does not hurt; it is neither too soft nor too hard. Currently, I am taking birth control pills. I went to a gynecologist today, he said he is unsure what it is, but he thinks I should come in on the next day and remove it. I want to see if I can get a better consultation because he says that he does not know. Please let me know what is this.

#

This is a vaginal mucosal cyst that usually develops in most cases where there is post-intercourse vaginal frictional injury leading to blockage of mucosal venous drainage due to injury, thereby causing a bump that tends to increase slowly. It can also be due to possibly boric acid suppositories applied, and the local mucosa at introitus would have been injured during insertion causing cyst formation. These are benign cysts and can be removed easily in the clinic itself. To further prove, the specimen can be sent for histopathological examination, and then the diagnosis can be confirmed. So it would be best if you can revisit your gynecologist. And also, avoid using boric acid suppositories to prevent bacterial vaginosis; instead, you should regularly use alkaline vaginal washes. Regards.

|