Q. I have a patchy beard on my face. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

I am 22 years old. I have problems with my beard. My beard grows in patches, only in certain parts of my face. The remaining areas are clear without any facial hair. It makes me look awkward. Does any supplement encourage hair growth and solve my problem. Is that possible doctor?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

Beard and mustache are said to be secondary sexual characters. Some people may not get the full area of beard distribution at a young age. The area and thickness of facial hair increases as you grow.

Repeated shaving also increases the possibility of hair growth and thickness.

But you should also know that there are chances of some treatable causes like fungal infections or a condition called alopecia areata which commonly affect the facial hair growth.

Have a balanced diet with high proteins, vitamins, and minerals.

You can also take Biotin supplements.

Get back to a dermatologist online with clear facial photos, to rule out the causes for incomplete facial hair growth --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Are low WBC, alopecia in pubic area, and decrease in semen related to each other?

Query: Hello doctor, I noticed a small triangular bald spot in my beard three weeks ago. It was likely alopecia areata. Saw my dermatologist last week, she said it was likely folliculitis. I have had folliculitis before in the same area and it was much different. She is the doctor. So I accepted and moved...  Read Full »

Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?

Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full »