Q. I am 23 years old with a habit of urinating in bed still. Please suggest medication.

Dr. Ankush Jairath

I am a 23-year-old female. I used to urinate on the bed since childhood. Please suggest me some medicines.

#

Have you tried any medication before also? Do you have a dry period anytime until these 23 years? You still do bed-wetting on a daily basis or it is just when you cough or sneeze? Do you have any history of diabetes or hypertension or any medications? Kindly elaborate on how many times at night you wet and how many times you get up to urinate?

| 

I had taken some Ayurvedic medicine a long time before but I could not remember. No, I never had any dry period in the last 23 years. I am urinating once or twice in a week on the bed but when I manage to urinate at night I wake at around 2 AM, then there is no urination on the bed. I urinate a little when I cough or sneeze. I am not diabetic or hypertensive.

#

The first thing is behavioral modification. In this first one is the alarm system. So the time you feel you are wetting clothes you put an alarm half an hour before that so once alarm rings you get up to urinate (for example, let us say you do bedwetting at 2 AM so put an alarm at 1.30 AM). Once you do on a regular basis then the body will get used to it (to get up at that particular time to pee) and you will not need an alarm anymore.

Second is less water intake after 9 PM and before going to bed, just go and pass urine.

Third is tablet. You can start tablet Minrin (Desmopressin) 0.1 mg before bedtime for 10 days. We will get back again after trying these three things after 10 days. Tablet dose may need adjustment so let us see how your body responds.

| 

Can you suggest a medicine to prevent urination at night during travel?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to have a long journey. Can I take a salt tablet to prevent urination during the night? If so, please suggest any tablet.  Read Full »

Why does my 9-year-old still have bedwetting problem?

Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 9 years old, has bedwetting problem. Please suggest me.  Read Full »

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood. Please give me suggestions.  Read Full »