Q. What is the treatment for passing urine while sleeping in a child?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

My boy baby is 9 years old and is still passing urine on the bed while sleeping. While I discussed with him, he said he is not feeling. As per doctor suggestion I used to wake up him by night for passing the urine but it did not work. Day time he gets it urgent and runs towards the bathroom. Study time in one-hour minimum three to four times he goes to urinate. He is maximum time watching TV, and want to play game in cell or laptop. Her mom was also under psychiatric care for the last eight years after his birth. During that period while taking medicine she fed him also. I am not getting a solution. I have explained everything. I request you to suggest proper solution and steps need to be taken.

#

First, you have to rule out the organic or structural cause of enuresis, like urinary tract infections, obstruction, polyuria, diabetes, and any medicine. Second, if the organic cause is ruled out then you have to review the toilet training of your child, and medicine such as Desmopressin or Reboxetine are alternative. Also, behavioral therapy has a significant role like bell and pad system is effective in 50 percent cases. Also, limit the time spent on the screen like mobile or television, and it should be noted more than two hours per day.

|