Q. I have weird feeling in face and I cannot smile or close my mouth on right side. Is it Bell's palsy?

Answered by
Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

Hello doctor,

Yesterday, in the evening I woke up and I had a feeling that something is not right in my face. And when I gurgle I cannot fully close my mouth and water keeps spitting. And yes, when I look at the mirror my right eyes, nose, mouth, and cheeks are different. I checked online and it has something to do with bell's palsy. I cannot even smile on the right part.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

With the symptoms you have mentioned, it definitely looks like you have developed a facial palsy on the right side, what we usually call as a Bells palsy.

This usually happens due to the involvement of facial nerve supplying the muscles of your face and in a situation when there is some weakness you will have difficulty in puffing your cheeks, drooling of saliva, not able to close your eyes completely, etc.

You can follow the advice given below:

Tablet Wysolone 60 mg one tablet in the morning after breakfast for the next five days followed by 30 mg one tablet in the morning for next five days followed by 20 mg for the next five days followed by 10 mg for the next five days and then 5 mg for next five days, tablet Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day for next five days. Methyceullose eye drops four times a day.

Facial physiotherapy exercises. A good multivitamin containing Lycopene, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, and antioxidants one tablet once a day for the next month. Avoid alcohol, and smoking. Avoid any form of stress. Tablet Pan D (Pantoprazole) once in the morning 30 minutes before food.

This should be sufficient for now. Typically this takes around 1.5 to 2 months to completely resolve. There is nothing that you need to be worried about as things will slowly improve with time. I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is Prednicort a good medicine for arthritis pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I want an opinion for my mother. My mother has been feeling arthritis pain since last few years. Recently, I have read somewhere about a medicine name Prednicort (5 mg) which is specially used for asthma disease. But, I have read that this medicine is also helpful for arthritis pain. Is...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to use Prednisolone for long time after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this to get your kind suggestion regarding my mother (Age: 56 years). Two years back, she had her cataract surgery for both eyes PCIOL. After having the surgery she was fine while she had these following drugs: 1. Neopred. 2. Xirom. 3. Optimox. She was under these dr...  Read Full »

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.