Q. My 3 week old baby is not taking breast milk. Shall I start formula milk?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know is it fine to do spoon feeding and can I start bottle as it will be more convenient. Also, suggest if I can go back to breastfeed.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete more milk. About formula milk use only if you are not secreting enough milk. You try to direct breastfeed as much as possible then give EBM (evidence-based medicine) still not enough you can try formula, but do not use a feeding bottle. If your baby is sleeping for one to two hour after feeds, passing six to eight times urine in 24 hours, has adequate weight gain 30 g per day. Then your milk is sufficient.

My 18 weeks old baby is becoming irritable, crying, and biting her hands. Could this be teething?

Query: Hello doctor,My 18 weeks old baby appears to have less interest in her bottles. She is only drinking approximately 20 to 24 ounces of milk instead of the recommended 30 to 35. She has become more irritable, crying, biting her hands and tethers. When I give her a bottle, she drinks a few ounces then ...  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full »