Q. My 3 week old baby is not taking breast milk. Shall I start formula milk?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know is it fine to do spoon feeding and can I start bottle as it will be more convenient. Also, suggest if I can go back to breastfeed.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete more milk. About formula milk use only if you are not secreting enough milk. You try to direct breastfeed as much as possible then give EBM (evidence-based medicine) still not enough you can try formula, but do not use a feeding bottle. If your baby is sleeping for one to two hour after feeds, passing six to eight times urine in 24 hours, has adequate weight gain 30 g per day. Then your milk is sufficient.

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, this is an absolutely normal phenomenon in this age group. The child will pass gas like a big person. Do not worry. Regarding the use of Colicaid (Simethicone), it is an absolutely safe medicine. Please stick to it only when necessary. Also, you c...  Read Full

Can I breastfeed baby after three hours of smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a breast-feeding woman. I used to be a smoker before I got pregnant. I am really stressed out. If I have one and wait three hours before feeding, will it be fine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Galen Harnden
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend trying to quit entirely. Cigarette exposure in infants increases the risk for several problems, including asthma, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), eczema, and many more. There are several options to help quit, including nicotine patches, gum, and e...  Read Full

Oral Health in Breastfed Babies

Article Overview: Breastfeeding is considered one of the oldest traditions in the world which saves hundreds of children’s lives. In this article, we will see how breastfeeding influences the oral cavity in many ways along with the benefits for the same. Read Article

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Pedodontist

Firstly, let us know how breastfeeding is classified according to the World Health Organisation (WHO): Exclusive breastfeeding - where the baby is fed only the mother’s breast milk and no other food for the first six months of life. However, the baby can also be given oral rehydration drops...  Read Article