Q. I have dizziness and vertigo that get worse while watching TV or movement. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I had gone to many doctors and did many investigations, and no one can diagnose me so far, and here is my condition. Regularly, I have normal motion sickness, which required me to take Cinnarizine or Stemetil before traveling by plane or long distance by car, but this happened when I travel. I washed my ears in the medical center to get rid of some wax, and since that time, I have suffered from dizziness and unsteadiness. Some days, I am completely normal during these three months and doing regular activities, and other days I cannot move from the bed because of dizziness and vertigo. I feel very nauseous and feel like moving. My condition becomes worsen when I watch Tv, sit in a car, and see any movement or crowd. I do not know why. One day I am normal, and the other, I am completely not. I cannot do any regular activities or drive or go outside in a crowd, which makes me dizzier. I do not know the connection between what I have and the ear washing as everything started after that.

I went to the ENT and Neurology doctors, and they checked and told me everything normal. Also, I am attaching some reports from the balance center.

I tried all vertigo medication such as Cinnarazine, Stemetil, Meclizine, and Betahistine. They all began to hurt me cause I took them too much until doctors told me to stop taking any medication and tried only vestibular rehabilitation with no benefits. I hope you have an idea about my condition and treatment.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from motion sickness associated with dizziness, unsteadiness, nausea, and vertigo.

Motion sickness is dizziness and nausea when you ride in a car, train, boat, airplane, etc. Again some people experience such types of symptoms just from watching tv like you. I have gone through your investigation reports and found nothing significant (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Well, motion sickness may have resulted from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), migraine, drop in blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension, inadequate blood flow to your brain or inner ear, low blood sugar or hypoglycemia, low iron levels or anemia, anxiety disorders, dehydration, overheating, carbon monoxide poisoning, medications like antidepressants, anti-seizures, tranquilizers, etc.

Other causes like neurological conditions and inner ear problems can cause such symptoms, but those reasons have already been excluded.

You can undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), RBS (random blood sugar), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain, Serum electrolytes, x-ray PNS 9paranasal sinus) O/M view, etc. to determine the exact causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

Have you been suffering from migraine-like headaches, allergies, anxiety, panic attacks, or stress?

I did all blood tests, and they are completely normal and within range. Also, I did a brain and neck MRI, and it is also normal. My blood pressure is also normal. That is why all doctors do not know what is happening regarding migraines. Lately, I have had a headache on the left side only, and I feel it around my eyes, and very annoying. Also, as a result of four months of dizziness and vertigo and unable to move and do normal activities, I started suffering from anxiety and depression, and stress.

#

Then it is difficult to predict the exact causes for your dizziness and vertigo. As you have already mentioned that you have been suffering from anxiety, stress and depression, so I think you may suffer from vestibular migraine with anxiety disorders. Anxiety, stress, and emotions like depression may aggravate your migraine.

According to your statement, it is migraine type headache as it is unilateral. Watching TV and anxiety or stress may initiate the episode of migraines.You can take Flunarizine and Propranolol as prophylactic treatment for migraines and painkillers like Naproxen or Ibuprofen for headache.

|